Schizophrenia.com

Alcoholism post

I am not an alcoholic.My problem was crack; for almost 4 years. But I got clean in AA. I used to believe that AA was the ONLY way to get sober (or clean) and the only way to STAY sober. I also believed that once you cross the line from drinking heavily to being an alcoholic, that you could never drink successfully again. I believed (and I MAY be correct about a couple of these things) that once you’re an alcoholic that you can not control your drinking. Once you had that first drink, you could not stop. And once you start drinking again that you actually are right back where you were when you were drinking before. That you pick up right where you left off, that you don’t have a choice. My sponsor, The Big Book, and many,many, alcoholics verified these things for me.

If I am wrong about any of this, it would be my first sentence. I guess rehab helps with alcoholism. And though I did not believe this for years, it MAY be possible for an alcoholic to quit drinking on his own. But I think this is a very small minority. There are also a small minority who can get clean by alternative methods. Possibly with a psychiatrists help or a drug counselor, or antibuse, or other ways. When drinking disrupts your life, then you need to stop. If every time you drink it causes problems you should simply not be drinking.

AA has a good track record. It has helped MANY so-called “hopeless alcoholics” stop drinking, and stay stopped. It has helped people who have lost everything to recover, and enjoy a better quality of life. It has helped people who dropped out of society to re-integrate into being productive members of society. It has helped people from all walks of life all over the world to get sober. I can’t say everything I want to say here, there’s not enough room. If ANYONE thinks they have a problem with alcohol, and want to quit, I think reading the basic text of AA ( “The Big Book”) would be the best start. It’s an easy read. It can answer a lot of questions about alcoholism and about how AA works and how it can help.

8 Likes

After nearly 7 years sobriety… some people offer me drinks… and I just don’t have the guts to accept… I also have a feeling that for me… it would be one too many.

AA, NA, CA, SLAA, EA, RA, Alanon, ACA and CoDA all opened doors for me. But I had to walk through them. And keep walking. I got sober in AA & NA 31 years ago. It did absolutely NOTHING for my psychotic bipolar. But I needed to stay C&S so that I could trudge the road of happy destiny through four degree programs + + +.

3 Likes

That’s amazing that you went through so many programs. But apparently, they worked for you.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of guts. It’s a matter of being smart and not giving in to temptation.
Yeah, there’s a good chance that you would trigger your alcoholism and addiction all over again.
“One is to many and a thousand is never enough”
Stay on the straight and narrow, SurprisedJ. You know your life will go to hell in a hand basket if you start drinking or drugging again. And you will go down fast.

2 Likes

That’s really hard to believe notmoses.

I once accidentally had a snort off someone else’s drink. They set it closer to me than my coke and their rum and coke looked the same, so… Spat out a mouthful of stuff when I realized there was booze in it (not very elegant, I know) and had a really crappy two weeks after that with cravings. I now make a point of avoiding functions where alcohol is served so that never happens to me again. If I’m DJing a dance, I drink water and make sure I bring my own and keep my bottle away from everything else.

I’m happy for anyone who sobers up whichever way that works for them, but I need to not drink booze for the rest of my life. Not borrowing that trouble again.

Pixel

3 Likes

I used to drink myself into blackouts. Now i drink about an eightpack a night. I found just one beer that relaxes me and does not make go on rants , howling at the moon and keeping the neighbors up. Thanks for all you information about AA, and the other stuff 77nick77! ]:smile:

You’re very welcome…

Why? It took more than 20 years to do it.

1 Like

I sobered up on my own. Almost one year ago. Does it get easier, the cravings?

Eventually… after a while, your living your life with no alcohol and the cravings go away.

I admit, when I smell it… is when I start thinking back on how great those times were… (even though they weren’t great at all… )

Also I have actively recall the hang overs… all the letters of apology I’ve written because of what an ass I was when I was drunk… all the money lost… the injuries from drunken falls…

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, it’s not worth it.

I don’t want to miss the good times I had, I think what I actually miss most about it is not being ill.

1 Like

I don’t have any cravings

1 Like

That’s awesome, they’ll probaby go away than

I went to an AA meeting tonight. I had a good time!

Jayster

1 Like

i wouldnt say im an alcoholic because i dont drink too often maybe once every couple weeks or sometimes once a week. my problem is i will binge drink with no control. so its more of a lack of self control for me.

How do you define alcoholic? The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking.

Jayster

1 Like

I come from a family that’s loaded for liking alcohol. Mother-alcoholic/problem drinker,brother used to drink like her(his own admission) but cut back,sister was the most vocal critic of my mum’s drinking but is fond of a drink herself.
I can go long stretches without alcohol but in situations of aversive tension/negative emotions that have always seemed present I have been known to binge drink(drink a lot quickly to crash out and by pass the intense negative feelings) .
Otherwise when I do drink(light spirits mostly, heaviest one is vodka or bacardi) it can be like drinking fizzy pop(I’m the kind to down a glass of that in one go).
Impulsivity/lack of impulse control was listed in the past as an issue. I would say with age it has got a little better.
I am not sure though how I’d do if I was in the regular company of boozers. Whether I would succumb to the peer group pressure to do what the others are doing .

Lack of self control over alcohol is what alcoholics call powerless