Recovered alcoholic

I told some friends at work today that I’m a recovered alcoholic. The woman said I was strong to tell them about it. It’s been 5,5 years now.

11 Likes

everybody has challenges. some shallow people judge others. glad your workmates are decent people. good for you, congrats!

3 Likes

good on you …:heart:
you are strong :trophy:
take care :alien:

3 Likes

Just keep swimming :smile:

1 Like

I’m a practicing alcoholic, but I only get drunk an average of once a month because both of the only two stores in town that sold beer have closed. Alcohol takes a toll on me, but it’s not too bad because I don’t get drunk that often. I do crave alcohol, though.

Good to hear ur recovering mate the thing that scares me is u have to stay like that forever my psychiatrist is trying to get me into detox then rehab he’s scared I’ll get the DT’s the way I’m drinking I do tremor a lot but I haven’t stopped in 3 months I’ve stopped a few times on my own in the past 5 or 6 years but I’m can’t this time. All the best!!!:+1:

If/when you want to stop drinking, AA has a great program and it’s free. I went to meetings 2-3 times/week for 2 years. Then I felt I needed to try out being on my own. It worked. But I am not alone. I still have my brothers and sisters in the program. I will visit them tomorrow. I do it once or twivce a year. Just to show up and give them hope who have not gained it yet.

1 Like

I want you to look at my previous post to Crimby too.

Stop slowly. Drink less each time you drink. Don’t stop all st once if you are used to have a lot of alcohol in your system you can’t quit cold turkey. It’s like meds. One step at a time.

1 Like

I used to binge drink. 10 beer 5,5% at a time. I was not huge. Just 65 kg and 165 cm tall. I could drink a bottle of vodka and still walk straight.

I had to cut down drinking because of my liver. I got an autoimmune disease in my liver. That’s when I found morphine. But I’m clean from that too.

1 Like

I thought there was no way I could quit smoking crack. But lo and behold, I’ve got 25 years clean now.
I’ve seen many hard-core, die-hard alcoholics join AA and get clean after drinking for twenty years. It’s easy to fall into that trap of thinking that you have drank for so long that it’s impossible to quit. I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t matter how much you drink, how long you’ve drank, what you drink, or where you’ve drank; you can still get sober.

Like I said, take it one day at a time. I’m happier now than I was when I was doing drugs. I can honestly say that I don’t miss drinking or drugging at all. I have no desire to drink or do drugs and I can thank AA for that.

I think you once said that you live too far from any AA groups. Well you can try online meetings. You can call the World Service Headquarters and ask them for someone to set you up to do online meetings. They always tell you in meetings; don’t look at it as the rest of your life, just live one day at a time.

3 Likes

I started drinking when I was 15. Stopped at 33. It really can be done. It’s hard work but so much rewarding in the end. Damn I even drove my car drunk once! I could have killed someone! But I was not thinking straight.

1 Like