Aggression and Impulsivity in Schizophrenia

"Aggressive behavior and impulsivity are often found in paranoid schizophrenia and can occur during both acute and chronic phases of the illness. Impulsivity is defined as action without planning or reflection, and it seems to be related to a failure of behavioral filtering outside of consciousness.

Patients with schizophrenia may show dysfunctional impulsivity and impulsive aggression. Although the neurobiological aspects of aggression in patients with schizophrenia are still not well understood, impulsivity and aggression may correlate with frontal and temporal brain abnormalities.2 Psychotic symptoms, such as delusions and hallucinations, with subsequent suspiciousness and hostility, may result in aggressive behavior. Or, aggression may be impulsive and caused by an environmental frustrating event. Patients may be more aggressive and violent during acute episodes.3

Schizophrenic patients have less insight, experience greater thought disorder, and have poorer control of their aggressive impulses."

If I reduce my meds dose I become more aggressive but have less negative symptoms. This sucks! :grimacing:

How do I reduce my negative symptoms without increasing aggression??

A sudden pain caused me an impulse to misbehave.

2 Likes

I am stuck and I hate this!

1 Like

Yeah, I know the feeling. Wish I could quit my AP’s. I’m so sick of Anhedonia. I’m not sure if its the Sz or the drugs but I’m tired of the negative symptoms…especially Anhedonia

2 Likes

I think its both but not sure. I still had some negative symptoms without meds but maybe positive symptoms worsen negative symptoms too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.