After 5 years of hell I'm free

My scalp has healed. I no longer have excoriation disorder. I have zero compulsion to pick at my scalp. I’m free. Well, I still have OCD it’s just that I don’t have that manifestation anymore.

21 Likes

Was it because you were taking NAC?

1 Like

No, it’s a medicine I’ve been taking the whole time. My pdoc just increased the dose. It’s The Topamax. For some people at higher doses it works on excoriation disorder. She doubled the dose and little by little the compulsion faded.

3 Likes

And actually, now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t currently have any compulsions that I can think of.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m happy for you. I know how much it bothered you.

1 Like

Thank you @Ooorgle my next haircut I won’t have to be embarrassed.

2 Likes

As you know,

I have the same problem and tried to quit the past month because I knew I was getting my hair done and didn’t want to be embarrassed.

The stylist was cool so I told her I pick my scalp and she told me it was no big deal.

Then, as she separating my hair for the color, she told me my scalp looked really good and that she only saw a few spots that just looked like dandruff.

It was very encouraging.

Good luck with your next haircut and congratulations on the progress.

I know how hard it is to stop.

3 Likes

Congrats & good job!! :relaxed::blossom: I knew a girl that picked her scalp & eyebrows. She was embarrassed about it. I hope she found a way to quit, eventually.

I’m happy for you! Big accomplishment!!

2 Likes

Thank you @anon54386108 and @Blossom

3 Likes

What great news!!! That must have been a tough habit to break.

2 Likes

It’s one of the hardest things I’ve been through in my life. I was desperate. I tried everything, nothing worked. I was so unhappy about it and ashamed. And it’s gone. I’ve got 3 little dry patches left that will just go away with shampooing over time.

2 Likes

Good news!
I’m so glad!

2 Likes

I’ve heard that Topamax is good to treat alcoholics. I might ask for it myself. It’s been four and a half years since I last drank, but the compulsion is still there.

2 Likes

If it works as well on alcoholism as it did on picking you should definitely give it a try.

2 Likes

Thanks @Wave hey! you brought the good old avatar back, nice!

2 Likes

Ha yes thanks, I switch back and forth between them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

this one is my favorite!

2 Likes

Congrats. For me my hairline has stopped receding since I haven’t been working. It was receding when I was working. I lost a little hair when I almost lost my job. I was working on a notch bar at work. I was very stressed out.

2 Likes

Really that’s great. My girlfriend has Trichotillomania just wondering if that’s similar or you know anything that can help

2 Likes

It is I believe similar in the sense that is on the OCD spectrum. I would think the same treatments would be tried for it. Some things they tried on me before the one that finally worked were bumping up my antidepressant, Naltrexone, NAC, and finally the thing that worked Topamax.

There is an old school ad that supposedly works really well on OCD but I wasn’t able to take it, Anafranil.

Other things I tried were replacing the behavior with another activity like squeezing a stress ball, I also tried wearing gloves, wearing a hat, and wearing fake fingernails.

tell her I said don’t give up, good luck

2 Likes