Aerobic Exercise May Up Brain-Training Benefits in Schizophrenia

6 Likes

Brain & Behavior Research Foundation - this video is about using EEG response to a brief brain training session to predict who will best respond to the training. Some patients fail to respond.

1 Like

You know I’m a big believer in exercise for mental health. I’ve seen the benefits to my life just from adding significant exercise. I have actually come down on my antidepressant successfully.

1 Like

The more I’ve been walking lately, the sharper and more cognitively fit I’ve been feeling.

1 Like

I’ve no doubt exercise can help, but for some us it’s easier said than done. A person like me needs simple exercises done at a reasonable pace(not fast movements stuff you see on YouTube videos . ) I think more of us would do exercise if we hadn’t gone through the crap we went through, while children/teenagers, by our knuckle dragging peers, because we were bad at P.E and sports. P.E instructors also can be pig ignorant, nasty *****, if you’re not good at P.E.

At the moment due to a sore sole, lower back pain and achy hip on walking short distances, I need simple, but beneficial, exercises to do.

Start small. Do simple things like walking up and down a hall till your body adjusts. The key is to get you ready to do harder things to raise heart rate and get the benefits from that. You should check with a normal gp and get your health checked before you get serious. 1 …to get a base line where you can improve upon and 2. Make sure you’ve no weird things like heart problems.

It’s not easy but chip away at it.

4 Likes

Dude, you can still go for a walk around your block if nothing else. I’m easing back into exercising after the problems with the previous pacer and that’s all I’m doing so far. I’m not adding in squats or anything else until after my weight drops below a certain point so as to not kill my joints.

I get two 15 min breaks per day at work. I just finished one and I got in 1667 steps on it.

1 Like

I remember my middle school and high school PE teachers. They didn’t like me much but had no choice but to put up with me because I was good at all the other classes lol !

it’s too bad some people don’t respond, but at least they don’t spend hours doing something that doesn’t really benefit them.

I hope they can figure out why they’re not responders though and figure out how to fix that.

This is interesting and definitely useful. I’ve noticed exercise helps the brain in neurotypicals, so I’m not surprised it would be helpful for those of us with SZ-spectrum disorders.

1 Like