Actress dies of prolonged Keto diet: Experts warn of consequences

Yea there is good and bad fats. Trans and saturated fats are bad. Cholesterol is also bad. Too much omega 6 is also bad. Olive oil is the best oil.

You need exercise too sadly.

1 Like

The idea of saturated fat being bad for you was inflated by the diet industry and misinformed data by the govenrments deciding these things.

Trans are bad, but modern science has put the saturated fat being bad for you as over exagerrated these days I believe.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

Saturated and trans fat cause atherosclerosis. I learned it in nutrition at university. It has to do with how they are oxidized, forgot the details, been a long time.

was this in the 90s as then it was a fad? It is outdated science now.

2010-2019. 1555

limited saturated fat is ok these days.

1 Like

Saturated fat increase bad LDL cholesterol:

They should be kept to a minimum, yes.

limited not to a minimum. :smiley:

I don’t get you bro limited means minimum

limited is a set level, minimum is the least amount possible.

Say whatever you want, saturated fats increase bad cholesterol which causes atherosclerosis.

1 Like

not if you keep saturated levels to 10% of total daily calories according to link. Any more than that and I agree with you. :slight_smile:

I have only got a week of keto left anyway.

1 Like

Well yeah there is a recommended intake for saturated fats and more than that its bad. I try to limit mine to a minimum but its hard as everything has saturated fats, cheese, milk, meat, etc

1 Like

I agree saturated fats are not bad, that’s been debunked. There are even documentaries about it. Medicine and science are evolving, but there’s always a lot of inertia.

1 Like

That’s been debunked too and is controversial. LDL is just a liporotein that’s responsible for carrying triglycerides (fat) as energy to your cells. It has to increase for it to do so. Your liver decides how much you need. It also increases during fasting as your fat cells release triglycerides and LDL has to carry them as energy to other cells. It’s present in the atherosclerotic plaques, but doesn’t necessarily cause it. There are different new theories about atherosclerosis, and one is that the quality of LDL matters and HDL matter more. Small dense LDL particles are bad and indicative of poor metabolism, but fluffy large particles are not. Oxidized LDL is bad and it is thought that it also causes plaques. There are new blood tests that show particle counts and types. The old simple calculated numbers test is not enough to show risk anymore. Also the triglyceride to HDL ratio is a very good indicator. What’s also found in the plaque by the way are polyunsaturated fats among other things that are new to our diet in large numbers. Industrial seed oils. These are to be avoided (corn, soy, safflower, grapeseed, etc.) These oils are highly unstable and oxidize easily creating highly damaging peroxides.

Why did my Dr say my LDL is high and prescribed me anticholesterol meds?

There is VLDL too:

Well few doctors are prescribing the new tests and thinking about it in the new light. As I said inertia. Remember the standard of practice for sz used to be lobotomy. And before the discovery of H. Pylori bacteria gastrointestinal ulcers were treated with surgery.

If you want more information about the mechanisms of how lipoproteins and atherosclerosis work, there is a lot of information out there. Basically it has everything to do with metabolism, and improving metabolism through dietary means/exercise lowers risk.

Of course the right diet for improving metabolism is itself a can of worms, but take a look at the Ivor Cummins and Dr. William Davis (he’s a cardiologist) youtube channels.

That’s not to say that statins are not needed for some people, it’s just that the determination whether they’re actually needed for a patient is in most cases the old standard test which may not be enough. Controversial.