Accepting schizophrenia as life

We’re not talking about playing air guitar in front of the mirror. It would be cause for the men in white coats to come take us away.

No harm in a little wiggle-even when others involved.
The best thing about being an old fart is not taking yourself so seriously-when applicable.

2 Likes

Been there done that, and after all the dust is settled, what was the harm?
No lives were lost, no property damaged, and to all involved, it was chalked up to a good night.

3 Likes

I accept it by accepting it. It will never disappear so I just keep taking my meds, seeing the shrinks, I don’t do drugs or drink. My family helps me and wants me to do good which is a huge motivator for me.

2 Likes

accepting sz is finally understanding that you might not yet be ready to do certain important things that, while in the process of doing those things, you can accidentally hurt yourself or others. taking meds is also another way of accepting sz.

but you shouldn’t accept sz as life, because sz is not always life-long.

1 Like

I did a lot of drugs after my onset to cope with voices I thought were real it was scary and after diagnosis I did crystal meth and now my life is ruined and I contributed to it I feel horrible I’m clean now but I feel like my life is ruined the voices won’t go away cuz I think they are real I go in and out of psychosis a lot I’m confused can’t think straight and scared I hide away from the world I want to be normal but I feel I am a prophet so that would be sinful to turn from gods plan my marriage is ruined now as well she feels like I’m to needy and has to take care of me basically and now she having an affair I found messages I just want to die I’ve loved her since middle school I can’t lose her :,(

1 Like

I just adjusted…ive had it aslong as I can remember…started self medicating mid twenties…pain pills kept the watchers away and the voices silent…still hallucinated but I kept a job stayed out of the hospital was pretty high functioning…

until i snapped a year anda half ago…was hospitilized for trying to rip out my left eye…with a guitar string and a spoon…but i sliced my palm to the bone from thumb to pinky at the last moment…the blood was paid and i didnt have to rip my eye out…

.I’ve been in a relationship for 5 years this summer have a 2 year old…I rarely drive hate to go out…but I own this ■■■■…small town so everybody knows I’m Sz …so its not odd for me to be singing to blaring music on my phone in walmart …nobody says anything out of the way to my face at least…

All the little gangsters and junkies that live up the road leave me alone despite all of my close neighbors getting their houses robbed and are constantly being harassed and intimidated by them…I scare the Normie’s and they leave me alone…they all will say hi or wave when they drive by…but they give me my space and I like having the room to breath…and it makes it easier in a way that most people know…they don’t call the cops or give me weird looks if I’m having a Sz moment in public…

End rant I don’t even remember what this topic was about now…

7 Likes

When I was a single mom and had to do everything, like getting up in the middle of the night to clean up vomit when he was sick, and cradle him to sleep, and make sure he had his vitamins and got to school and etc. etc., I learned a good lesson. I HAD to do these things because no one else would do them. I COULD do these things because I made myself do them.
I have schizophrenia. It sucks. I’ve had to make adjustments and I have to manage my life carefully. But I CAN do these things that I have to do. It’s hard and I’m better at it some days than others, but every day I have to, so I do.

4 Likes

I sometimes think I have some fantastic, unique thoughts that can open up peoples minds and to be honest those thoughts COULD probably open up minds if people could get rid of the mental roadblock that I am i’ll, thus not worth being listened to.

Truly, I have learned in order for people to take you seriously you either need a Badge or LOTS of money.

1 Like

or a loaded gun, since we’re on the topic. we all have MI though, so we probably can’t legally have any of those things.

Guns are never a good idea. Violence and Fear never reinforces any idea besides that there are monsters out there.

1 Like

Good Gawd what have you done?

Never- Ever- believe all things shiny or green., it’s the undo-ing of truth.

Time reveals all, and unfortunately it takes a lot of time for the truth to be revealed.

Tempus omnia revelat.

1 Like

I’m used to being sza, but I swear I’m on more medications than anyone else on the PLANET!!!

I’ve accepted that my sza only allows me to set small goals say taking a walk or playing the concertina a bit. But a therapist once asked me where I see myself in ten years. I looked at her funny and said I just focus on the day itself. When I set big goals the reality of sza tends to overshadow them. So I’ve accepted the limitations.

And I am sure you still do not enjoy your life the way you wish you could. I take more drugs and supplements than an Aids patient. Seriously…

1/3rd of Schizophrenics recover completely after 10 years. 1/3rd have near complete functioning levels with symptoms and 1/3rd are worse. 10 or 25 years. 50% recover after 25 years if they never started anti-psychotics. Too late for me!

I’ve had a crush on someone in high school for nearly 6 years; so I can only begin to imagine how hard that must be, dude. just take deep breaths and make sure you’re taking your meds.

I accept SZ as part of my life that I have to cope with, but it doesn’t get to define me anymore than my diabetes or bum knee do. I had a great week and am now about to have a great weekend. Life can be good with SZ.

:blush:

2 Likes

Guess the bunny hole can only go deeper the further down you go. Some can make a life down there.

I don’t see myself making a grand prison escape in and from my mind.

I don’t see or have any reasoning of a prison either.

I begrudgingly go through this every day. I don’t EVER really want to accept it so I say I’m surviving day to day and that’s essentially what it is in most respects.

1 Like