ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Initiates Phase III Trial of Pimavanserin for Adjunctive Treatment in Patients with Schizophrenia

SAN DIEGO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: ACAD), a biopharmaceutical company focused on innovative treatments that address unmet medical needs in central nervous system disorders, today announced the initiation of ENHANCE-1, a Phase III study to evaluate pimavanserin for adjunctive treatment of schizophrenia in patients with an inadequate response to current antipsychotic therapy. Current antipsychotics approved for schizophrenia primarily target the dopaminergic pathway. As a selective serotonin inverse agonist (SSIA), pimavanserin is a new class of antipsychotic medication with a distinct mechanism of action targeting serotonergic 5-HT2A receptors while avoiding activity at dopamine and other receptors commonly targeted by other antipsychotics.

Thanks for sharing @firemonkey. I’ll be keeping an eye on this med.

I certainly won’t. This has been associated with deaths in clinical trials.

http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=11475085

Key FDA Director Frowns at Acadia’s Pimavanserin

1. Director Mathis believes “the safety risk (of Pimavanserin) is substantial”

I had no idea, sometimes things just pass me by :confused: Was this mentioned on the forum? Probably was.

Yes, by me! Every time I see it mentioned, I pipe up! :smile:

1 Like

Won’t be looking forward to it anymooooore!!! Thank you for the heads up

2 Likes

Yet it still received the go ahead for Parkinson’s psychosis. I guess from that the FDA decided the benefits very much outweighed any risks.