Abused or neglected children are four times more likely to develop serious mental illness, study finds

A study by the University of Birmingham has shown that children who have experienced child abuse or neglect are four times more likely to develop serious mental illness such as psychoses, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

1 Like

This is why i think environmental impact leads to a higher chance of SZ compared to genes ?

1 Like

I was abused and neglected and developed PTSD and anxiety and coincidentally SZA

Heh…I have CPTSD from child abuse. I now have sz.

No kidding!!!

I had this and drugs as well, so I was never off to a great start. The joy of starting psychology again is going to be fun :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have a rocky relationship with my mother,

but also the psychosis did not start til I drank and did mdma so maybe it needed drugs to trigger it

I have both the genes and the abusive childhood for sza. I also have the pot smoking history.

1 Like

When I hear about the childhood’s of some of the people I know I am amazed that there are any normal people. One guy in particular interested me. Some of his stories about his childhood were like they were from the twilight zone. I only saw a couple of signs that he might be a psychopath, but nothing really strong. Of course, we were both on a locked down ward of all guys, so maybe in that environment his bad side didn’t show. There was a lot about him that was very human, but I think it would be impossible for him not to carry any baggage from his childhood.

In all my years I have not met 1 normal person. My aunt (my uncle’s wife) is a counselor and she’s really messed up.

1 Like

I believe it with all the people on here that were sexually abused and then some.

My parents used to argue a lot in front of me and my dad used to spank the hell out of me. I was also severely abused at this daycare growing up and I was raped as a child too. This is why I hate this world and all the people in it.