A new study shows that 30 per cent of patients with schizophrenia manage without antipsychotic medicine after ten years of the disease, without falling back into a psychosis

Patients are usually prescribed medication for an unlimited length of time after it has been established which medicine works best without too many side effects.

But perhaps doctors should think about helping people to transition off their medication, suggests the authors behind the new study.

It shows that there’s actually a large group, though still a minority of patients, who can function without medicine and without developing psychosis. So as a doctor, you shouldn’t rule out that patients could give up their medicine,” says co-author Merete Nordentoft, a professor in psychiatry at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

303 patients took part in the follow up interviews and 30 per cent of them were doing well despite not taking their medication. The scientists found that this group was in remission.

One group in particular had an especially high chance of coping without medication: women who did not take drugs, with a high level of functionality and connection to the labour market.

“We can see that those who have a high level of functionality to begin with—those who can manage well and have a good social life—are also the ones who cope without medicine after ten years,” says Nordentoft.

Ebdrup underlines that the most well-functioning of schizophrenia patients are probably those who manage best without their medication.

I’m not one of the 30% who can function without meds. It’s risky.

4 Likes

I tried to live without meds and I did it for 2 years and a half.
Basically it took more time to understand some basic math and chemistry and if I done it sooner maybe I could had even better grades.
Maybe if I tried a easier path on my studies I could cope it without meds…But from my own experience, my grades were so much better with meds that I don’t even think about it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have tried without meds and my life falls apart, the racing thoughts combined with thought of people after me are just too much to handle, end up in the hospital everytime

1 Like

I start feeling it if I miss a single dose. Unfortunately I don’t think I fall in that 30% of people.

3 Likes

I start hearing voices when I miss 1 dose, I wish I were among the 30%

2 Likes

Amazing for them, but I can’t, I’m one of the lifers

2 Likes

The problem is accurately predicting if someone is one of the 30%, and the consequences if a wrong prediction is made.

4 Likes

Yeah, me either. Off meds for one day and my mind starts slipping.

1 Like

I can only go like 3 months without meds then I’ll start hearing voices and get outta control

1 Like

I literally heard things regardless of meds. Pretty sure I am not in this 30%.

1 Like