50 percent of schizophrenics

Feel better after having the illness after ten years. I read this online. Can anyone who has had it for a while confirm or deny this? Im just hoping for a brighter future. Ive had paranoia the past 3 days. Ever since i quit drinking my paranoia seems like its gotten worse.

6 Likes

I’m 11 years into the illness and started feeling better 2 years ago in 2020. I guess I’m one of the 50%.

2 Likes

It also said 25% of people feel better but have to have a strong support system. The 50% was able to return to work and live on their own. I guess there is 25% that isnt so lucky.

I’m one who has experienced schizophrenia symptoms for over let’s just say a long time, and I’ve grown kinda used to living in this hell.

2 Likes

It helps to accept that most likely this is for life. That doesen’t mean I’m giving up recovery, but I am more at peace with having the disease.

1 Like

What are your symptoms?

1 Like

Theres a major difference between accepting SZ or accepting defeat

It is really not difficult to learn coping mechanisms to manage SZ. People give up too easily

1 Like

Definitely agree with this 100%

They also don’t listen to things that might help them

2 Likes

My positive symptoms have subsided for the most part. The negative symptoms are worse to me than any hallucinations I’ve had. I’m a fighter though and realize that even in hell one can experience moments of happiness manufactured or not. It’s perfectly fine to not be fine

Since the mid to late 1980’s I have been dealing with this. Doesn’t sound like I’ve given up. Am I frustrated though? Well that’s a whole other thing in and of itself. Yes I’m frustrated but I fight and rage against this wickedness!

I’m sure the drinking is having an effect on your moods. It might take a while for it to be over. Make the best of your time now. Are you going to AA? That can help.

No AA. I went to rehab and have been clean for 20 days. My brain might just be readjusting to being sober

1 Like

That can take a while. Try to take it easy.

1 Like

Yeah the negative symptoms are what kill me.

1 Like

I’ve had schizophrenia for nine years. I started feeling better three years ago when I asked to switch to an injection and changed my antidepressant. I don’t need a strong support system but I’m in Assertive Community Treatment because my dad makes me do it cuz they do my insurance paperwork.

What is assertive community treatment?

ACT helps patients learn to live with severe and persistent mental health needs.

1 Like

8 years for me. It gets better if one follows doctor’s orders (unless the doctor is a sham, but mine is ok).
I only struggle with nicotine addiction and some negative symptoms. Sometimes, depression too. But overall it’s better than 3 or 5 years ago.

2 Likes

Yeah nicotine is popular among schizophrenics. I chew tobacco like i get paid to do it

2 Likes

I had my first major psychotic break in 2018. So that was 4 years ago? Almost to the day that I was first admitted to hospital.

I feel much better now than I did. I could believe that I’d feel even better in another 6y years

4 Likes