15 and diagnosed with psychosis + ranting about my ward experience

Abilify is best for side effects, much less negative symptoms vs others.

Side effects are a genuine fear. I would suggest asking about Abilify or Aristada. They have less side effects.

I have tried risperdal and Invega. Those gave me a lot of side effects. Moving to Aristada got rid of them. I feel clear headed and just like I did before getting very sick.

When I switched from risperdal to geodon, I dropped 40 lbs immediately, stopped feeling queasy, and felt like my symptoms were much more manageable.

abilify didnt do anything to my negative symptoms, it got rid of my positive ones doe

What negative symptoms do you have?
The only other med thought to improve negatives is Lumateperone.

what is Aristada? I was on Abilify before
also I am not currently psychotic so its just like a maintentance drug I guess

Aristada is related to Abilify. It’s especially for folks that have dealt with psychosis or schizophrenia while Abilify is more for bipolar.

well I have lack of motivation and alogia according to my doc

I googled and Aristada seems like the 2-month injection form of Abilify?
My doc originally suggested me the Abilify Maintena injection but i am scared of needles :confused:

Really if Abilify didn’t work, in my case it gave me more serious side effect, only you can increase your motivation. That’s what my psychiatrist told me, there is no meds for negatives and that I must push myself more by myself.

yeah you are right
ima try that :slight_smile:

i had a very bad experience being threatened with the injections when ever I didnt want to take my meds (mostly for the reason that I didnt think that I needed them)

now i obviously realize that I needed them but it still doesnt feel nice thinking about the situation…

well at least i got rid of the delusions with the meds so thats always good
but then when i got home I quit the meds shortly after because I despise taking meds for some reason

it feels like i am sick and like inferior to others

You are still young. No one is inferior or superior to anyone else on this planet. We are all equal. You can have a great life as long as you take your medications as prescribed. You can have a career, a family, etc.

i doubt I would be able to get a job or a family because of my autism which adds additional challenges : (

I had that feeling at the beginning and went to court vs my psychiatrist. He said refusing treatment and meds is part of schizophrenia.
From my experience, I am not functional in society with or without meds but without meds I am also suicidal. Without meds I am not functional bcz of positive symptoms and suicidal thoughts. With meds I am not functional bcz of negative symptoms. Its better to take meds bcz I am not suicidal on Risperdal 4mg.

It’s sad and scary that people have this warped perception of “the schizophrenic” and if you do not fit within that box your experiences are discounted.
If anything needs to change within how people view psychosis; this would probably be my number one thing.

2 Likes

are you on CTO? that would be horrifying to me

I guess it is a part of psychosis in general.

Not necessarily. I’ve got both SZ and Asperger’s. I’m very high-functioning and work full-time. The autistic ability to focus and go deep with details is an asset with my work in insurance. I can spend all day reading policy declarations and wordings without getting bored. Most neurotypicals can’t match me in this.

2 Likes

I worked in IT for 6 years after diagnosis of Schizophrenia, and I also have Autism.

My hyper-focus allowed me to be very good at what I was working on, and I had a good reputation.

Office politics I really struggled with, and I left after the business re-structured as it was bought by an American company

It won’t be an easy ride, but just do the best you can. I am sure you will surprise yourself more and more and grow as a person.

2 Likes

I do not have high functioning autism so my situation is different

I am good in math etc though but I suck at social situations and sensory overload etc @Joker