Why does "schizophrenia" persist?

I sometimes wonder if anyone in mental health really believes in the idea of an illness called schizophrenia. Sure there are true believers in psychiatry like Jeffrey Lieberman and E.F. Torrey who will happily claim that there is a distinct brain disease the word connotes. Their advocacy (such as in Lieberman’s recent “Shrinks” and Torrey’s ever popular family manual “Surviving Schizophrenia”) is a big part of how the diagnosis has come to have broad currency.

But once you get interested in schizophrenia, it doesn’t take long for the whole edifice to look a bit crumbly.

I hold the view(perhaps wrongly) that schizophrenia is an umbrella term for a group of psychoses that are similar but different and that may need different approaches to treat.
I question the validity of saying that people with psychosis are not ill or that for most it is a positively transformational experience.
Schizophrenia may be an artificial construct(I accept the possibility) but for many with the diagnosis the problems are nevertheless very real and disabling.

3 Likes

Well man. I feel like I’m going to come out on top of it. Weathered a lot of real life stuff while also dealing with psychosis. Know a lot about their interrelations. Sleep is key. Dealing with women is a big ringer for me. I take interest, they take interest, I get invested, they lose interest, I lose my mind for a little while. That ain’t nothing though aside from a reflection of my stupidity/desperation. Spent years alone after years of being with someone. I try not to think about how much better it is to have someone to be alone, but when I see the potential those thoughts come back, leaving me wanting to accelerate things which just gets in the way. That’s a different issue though.

But uh yeah. Psychosis persists in some cases just because people believe it to be real. It’s hard on the subconscious level to rationalize that there was no point or validity to the suffering. My psychosis is ongoing, but in my normal moments now I start to see the world for what it is and it’s almost scary. I’ve gotten pretty damn good at playing this telepathy game. Pretty comfortable and at times almost in love with the idea that it’s real, regardless of how much suffering that means is in my future.

Still though my rational side has always known it’s probably not real. It’s childish to entertain beyond the scope of using it to refine myself. No judgement of others, clear focus and practical thinking, eliminate all of the excess ■■■■ that society puts on us. I’ve learned a lot through the self criticism of it.

My voices are running out of steam. They don’t know what to say. Largely because I’ve gotten over a lot of confusion this experience has put on me. I got over the rampant sexualization of everything. Every day I get closer to the state of mind that allows me to roam freely without the fear of harassment, but ultimately this ■■■■ is going to persist if I keep it in my focus like its a real thing.

It’s weird though reverting back to a normal life. When I hear people talk I expect to hear two statements. It’s helps me pay attention almost.

When I listen to someone else’s conversation, again I hear two conversations. Kind of keeps me locked on to it which is unnecessary but it makes me feel like I’m important somehow that they have targeted me for analysis or whatnot. Which is also stupid and childish to believe.

If you really want to get over this illness you’ve got to do your homework. You’ve got to do a lot of soul searching. You’ve got to do a lot of meditative work. You’ve got to be fearless in accepting yourself and your past, while also not losing sight of your desires and potentials.

This site is a great place because their are so many of us.

I like Eleanor longdens story. It’s sort of antimed which I wouldn’t recommend for everyone and in some cases that are particularly dangerous meds are a must, but in rational docile people with hallucinations… They might have more success with therapy. My point though, she went to school for psychology and it took her a decade but she graduated with highest degree in psychology her school had ever given and she overcame her illness. Now that’s a pretty rare thing for someone to do, but it does happen.

I take my zyprexa on nights I can’t sleep, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to be on meds that ■■■■ up my hormones and drain my finances for the rest of my life. I’m doing better than ever since the original onset of the illness.

I was just reviewing my recent tactics about an hour ago as I had slipped into just rolling with it. They are as follows:

The blank state: this one is tricky at first. Took me months to make it natural. Is mainly for those who have intrusive thoughts or bad logic in their brains that makes them say things they regret. This one is big for the thought broadcasting delusions. It allows you to feel more comfortable around people instead of being some see through schmuck. Works with feelings as well. Just like with classic meditation start out with deep consistent breaths. Try to eliminate any words behind control your breathing. When you can just slip into it and ‘become your breath’ or make it the dominant action of your mind. That’s it. You’re blank stating. Eventually you don’t even need to manually control tre breath you can just blank out. Do this in the face of your triggers and eventually your mind loses sight that they were ever triggers in the first place.

Hand in hand with that. Claim sovereignty over your minds language. Learn to willfully forget the words you don’t like to hear or use. Namely labels. Their are a lot of bad labels out there for people to either use on themselves or on others. The world would be a better place if these words that divide us were forgotten. Be a part of that trend. Everyone is different, you don’t have to try and figure anyone else out. Focus on yourself, and not how you fit in socially, but how to improve your run time.

Eliminate self talk. Affirmations are nice. Learned optimism is good as well, but we all have doubt at times. Being overtly or even falsely positive can set you up for a crash. No self talk. It’s stupid. If you want to think about yourself just try and remember the good moments or things you hope to do in your future.

Here is toughest challenge with as though. Delusions. Frankly normies are highly delusional, the culture supports a lot of ■■■■■■■■ that ends up tormenting sz folk. There are no aliens, there are no ghosts, I’d go as far to say there is no God, but that’s a touchy subject. Other delusions of being monitored and stuff like that, ■■■■■■■■ 99.9% of the time. Don’t buy into it. Telepathy ain’t real either but in my experience very few normies will through out the idea entirely. People love mystery and surreal ■■■■■■■■. If you want to get back to being a functional member of society you gotta throw out all the preoccupation with those things. Learn how to focus on the task at hand and how to manage your life regardless of what your hallucinations/mind try to throw at you.

Taking pills… On one hand they provide comfort and stability. On the other hand they are a reminder that you have an illness which reinforces the persistency.

Don’t do any street drugs. If Pandora’s box has been opened once, even if you manage to close it, you never know what the ■■■■ might happen.

There is more but it’s kind of escaping me.

This is more just an example of my box of tools when dealing with this illness. People need to see they have to develop this for themselves, they’ve got to craft their approach to live with this. No one can see what’s going on in your head. People can help, but only you know the extent of what’s going on.

One more. I found that if I don’t plan on talking about things my mind becomes less inclined to focus on them. I’ve always been a very open person so it’s my inclination to figure out how to explain everything to someone else. It’s not necessary unless you’re talking to a professional and they should know what to ask if they are any good. If it comes up in conversation all you have to do is say the name of the illness, most folks wouldn’t understand anything beyond that anyway.

Good luck folks.

4 Likes

I think there is room for a debate as to how psychosis is treated but that is fundamentally different from those that argue that,for example, psychosis is merely a spiritual awakening/transformational experience. Many amongst those that push that line are good prognosis cases who have not experienced the debilitating effects that more serious cases have ie they have stayed relatively more cognitively and socially intact.
There is a wealth of difference between how psychosis should be treated and a dismissal in some quarters of psychosis as a valid thing or saying it is a spiritual awakening etc.
It is a real problem that needs realistic solutions.
It has become increasingly evident that medication alone is not the solution although it has its part to play.
I wonder how many here with psychosis/schizophrenia have had comprehensive therapeutic help for the emotional/social aspects arising from it as opposed to merely medication to combat things like delusions and hallucinations.

I think you are right. Being such a good prognosis case myself, however, I still dislike the view of psychosis as a spiritual awakening. At it’s very root, such an idea has something to say for it, I believe - but it goes awry very quickly. I think there is some truth in the idea that socially conditioned categories of experience become unhinged in psychosis. But the premiss that makes for the appreciative value judgment that a conception of psychosis as a spiritual awakening presupposes is unwarrented in my opinion, hence the conclusion as well. It could be compared with different conceptions of liberty. Roughly speaking, there are two ways of thinking about liberty. The positive and the negative way. As wikipedia has it:

Positive liberty is the possession of the power and resources to fulfill one’s own potential as opposed to negative liberty, which is freedom from external restraint.

I compare the spiritual awakening conception with the negative conception of liberty. In psychosis one is free from socially conditioned categories of experience. Or minimally, these categories are shaken. To said interpretation, this amounts to some authentic experience, unspoiled etc. Personally I think the socially conditioned categories of experience should better be compared with the positive notion of liberty. These allow for us to live what we typically take to be the human form of life. Their loss then, accordingly, is disabling indeed. The skills we have learned as we were brought up enable a whole way of living for us, I don’t perceive of them as restraints - although one could. To lose these and the corresponding categories of experience comes down to not being able to live a human life. And it is not just that one does not fit in some complex higher order cultural structure. As most of us know very well, it is basic behavior like simply taking care of oneself that is undermined as well. This is manifest in the more disabled cases - the term already has it: abilities are impaired here and this is not liberating. The appraisal of the spiritual awakening view, to me, seems to come down to a disdain of anything cultural, as that spoiling the true human spirit or something like that. I prefer to see cultural initiation as second nature. That is to say, not quite the sharp boundary between them. To give it all up, to me, is not to get in touch with the authentic human being. No it is precisely to loose what is characteristically human.

That being said, the only spiritual awakening I could discern in relation with psychosis is coming out of it. Getting back into common sense and appreciating it like a warm bath. It fits so nicely, and it somehow all seems to add up - which of course is no surprise. The spiritual awakening here is that of getting a glimpse of the wonder of the human way of life.