When the word "crazy" comes up when you are talking to someone

When someone just uses it as an expression. Example: you’re in an innocent conversation and the person you’re talking to says causally, “Man, that store was crowded, it was crazy”. Or, “Wow, that football game lasted forever, it was crazy”. I’m sure it happens to all of us.

Do you flinch? Or do you take in stride and not even bat an eyelid? Or do you experience a tell-tale lack of confidence? I run into this all the time, even from my family. Its not intentional, it’s just a part of the human language that gets thrown around. I used to not bat an eyelid and it was just an innocuous word to me with no special meaning. But now, when I hear it I have a reaction that people I’m talking to pick up on. And within 5 seconds it turns both of us defensive but I know I’m going to lose.

6 Likes

The context u used it in I don’t flinch. Like “that was a crazy football game!” I don’t think twice. But if someone says “he’s insane! He’s crazy!” When he’s not. I question their use of the word.

7 Likes

I flinch when people say it, not physically but in my mind. I say it sometimes because I’m so used to saying it and make myself flinch.

Even worse I was at a friends get together a few weeks back and there were some people there I had only just met and instead of saying crazy they would say things were “schiz”. I wanted to tell them to stop saying it but I thought they might know something was up if I said something about it

1 Like

In some of the circles I ran in the word “crazy” meant a wild dude who would do almost any drug and who didn’t care what others thought of him. It was a compliment, of sorts. If someone said you were crazy it meant they liked and admired you. We had some pretty twisted values when I was young.

5 Likes

Yeah, we use it that way here too.

As in my dad broke up a mini-riot at my step-sisters graduation party when a bunch of uninvited drunk teenagers showed up and got out control of and started running amok and started destroying property. My 55 year old dad ran into the middle of them, with a beer bottle in his hand and grabbed the leader by the collar and yelled to the rest of them that unless everybody got the hell out of their he was going to brain their friend. Brave? yes. Crazy? Yes.

6 Likes

I use it… only as an add on to something positive like compliments… the normies are going to use it anyway… a shift in its context is the next best thing to it not being used at all…

2 Likes

You never lose, tears…

When somebody says it in front of me, I just say, “Hey! That’s our word!” That usually shuts them up pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Lots of people I know have used it, including both my doctors.
It doesn’t bother me like it once did.
I use it myself but in a good way.

2 Likes

In the sense it’s used in the example you gave it doesn’t bother me at all, I barely notice

1 Like

I don’t think the word ‘crazy’ rises to the level of inherent malice that words used against the black community, gay community, women, and other minorities do. However, we (people with sz/szA) are also a minority, so if a person uses a word(s) with the sole purpose of trying to harm me, or our community, it’s troubling to say the least.

3 Likes

When did you get the new tag line lol.

3 Likes

@Goyankees

Yesterday.

Do you like it?

1 Like

Yes it’s hilarious!!! Must be some good glue. It seems to be holding the brain together well!!

2 Likes

@Goyankees

Thanks.

I hope it keeps working…lol

2 Likes

My first reaction to the word “crazy” is fear. Just means I’ve been a victim of one or more crazies. I have to reassure myself that it’s only a work, not an action.

It really only bothers me when someone says it about another person who hasn’t been diagnosed with a mental illness. Especially when someone who knows my diagnosis says it without considering how it would make me feel. However, I don’t react and I hide the fact that it bothers me fairly well. It doesn’t offend me that much but it kind of makes me feel bad.

yeah I say crazy a lot and call myself crazy too :o)

My dad calls me nuts :o) and well I am

2 Likes

When someone starts talking crazy, I say I’ll show you crazy, let’s roll

Dont tell people you have sz

1 Like