This is the kind of computer I would assemble and sell

Gotta wait and see if the graphics card people will step up their game in response. I have a feeling that AMD might standaradize 8 gigs with the 300 series. At least on the upper end cards. Nvidia is pretty terrible about memory capacity right now.

1 Like

I used to love constantly upgrading computers with the latest parts.
I got to where I had put together everything at one time or another.
And I loved overclocking and playing with the parts.

Maximum PC used to do build it from scratch articles. Even they ran onto troubles that could take a lot of time

So I was pricing parts for a gaming computer and then looking at the fully assembled models from custom shops like http://www.cyberpowerpc.com and http://www.ibuypower.com/

It was only a few more bucks to put it together from buying the parts your self. They must buy in quantity.
I just didn’t need the extra aggravation. Plus they threw in an installation disc for Win 7. And have forum access for discussions or questions.

I was gaming a lot with Steam but gave it up. My son got an xbox and it was much easier. They also started making games for the consoles first and then porting them to PC. I also had high hopes to do picture and video editing, I had the horsepower, but those activities take up time too.

But if you have the time to solve any problems, saying you built it yourself must be gratifying.

I found assembling a rig to be cheaper… I did get a laptop from ibuypower though. It started having power supply and heating issues. I don’t really like laptops. The gaming ones are way over priced.

It’s cool to hear about your hobby though, I wouldn’t have expected it.

They have an 8 gb ram version of that same graphics card for 40 more dollars… If I were to revise the build that is all I would change.

Yes its cheaper of course, but you have to value your own time too.
I used to change my own oil, I have a scar to prove- it after they used an air wrench to tighten the plug one time.
Then I said, “well I know how to change it and fix the break pads too,” but I don’t have to.

1 Like

Yeah I take my car to the quick lube places for that. Mainly so I don’t have to deal with disposing of the used oil. Changed brake pads once but that is a hassle as you have to raise and lower the car for all four tires. Or just the front two. It’s also better to just take it to the place where they can raise the whole car and have the tools to press the brake rods back and all that. It did make me feel like I had accomplished something though. I also replaced my rotors with slotted and drilled upgrades. Made my car sound like a spaceship when braking. Unfortunately though that project car was to expensive and leaking everywhere. Did replace the water pump but that was a total pain. Snapped the head off a bolt but everything was still sealed up. Them old volvos were champs. I’m pretty sure the head gaskets were blown the entire two years I was driving that thing. It was only 800 dollars. Would have been super nice coming off the lot as it was a 760 turbo.

I’m ranting…

The problem I see with this build is the HDD is only 120GBs. I have a TB SATA drive for a similar price. It is external.

You must have selected it because of its speed, like the raptures they had a long time ago. I would still require more space.

I went with the ssd for speed and longevity. 120 gigs is just any entry level thing. Today I was looking they had 480 gig ssds for $240. Not a bad deal. These prices should fall as time goes on but I know I will never buy a hard disc drive again. I’ve had too many fail.