The Search for Schizophrenia Genes - News from Slate.com

Last week, according to many media accounts, scientists from Harvard Medical School, Boston Children’s Hospital, and the Broad Institute discovered the genetic basis of schizophrenia. The researchers reported in Nature that people with schizophrenia were more likely to have the overactive forms of a gene called complement component 4, or C4, which is involved in pruning synapses during adolescence. However, suggesting a biologic mechanism for a small subset of those diagnosed with schizophrenia is not the same as confirming the genetic theory of schizophrenia.

Benedict Carey, science reporter for the New York Times, delved into the details and reported the all-important fact that having the C4 variant would increase a person’s risk by about 25 percent over the 1-percent base rate of schizophrenia—that is, to 1.25 percent.

Read the full story here:

4 Likes

Well great! /sarcasm

1 Like

Well synaptic pruning occurs during adolescence right? I developed schizophrenia at the age of 30, that’s 12 years after adolescence formally ends. During these 12 years I’ve been functional in all respects: intellectually, socially, emotionally, sexually etc etc. Then bang, psychotic break and 3 months later I was almost bedridden with acute negative symptoms that no medicine can treat.
Well, explain to me the gene behind this **** !
I’d be more tempted to assume there’s a chemical imbalance somewhere in the brain that keeps it from working properly, than buy into this synaptic pruning fairytale. BTW my cognitive functions are mainly ok, no problems with memory or attention… well maybe a little but nothing worrisome.