TDCS for Cognitive Enhancement

Interesting research - and products coming to market from:

A related video:

and another:

1 Like

@SzAdmin have u researched on rTMs I have heard it is more powerful then TDCS…

Yes - but I haven’t seen any comparisons. I’ve just started learning about TDCS.

rTMS is pretty expensive from what I’ve seen and is primarily focused on depression.

1 Like

@SzAdmin does it help in sz (TDCS)…cuz it supposed to treat chronic depression…It don’t have 2 do anything with motivation…??? am I right…???/

It seems to help in cognitive function - so it seems like it might work for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia frequently causes cognitive disfunction in people so I’m thinking it might be helpful. but research is still lacking…

1 Like

From Johns-Hopkins: “Several studies suggest it may be a valuable tool for the treatment of neuropsychiatric conditions such as depression, anxiety, Parkinson’s disease, and chronic pain. Research has also demonstrated cognitive improvement in some patients undergoing tDCS. Currently, tDCS is not an FDA-approved treatment.”

Based on how it operates, it’s difficult for me to see how tDCS would be useful for most forms of sz, save possibly for some very specific negative symptom syndromes. Figure this: Sz is functionally the neurochemical opposite of Parkinson’s, and the mechanism of action of tDCS on Parkinson’s would seem to me to be pretty much the wrong thing to do for a positive symptom sz pt.

1 Like

I have read about recent studies with tDCS (transcranial direct current stimulation) on negative symptoms, which have yielded promising results. Anybody around here trying it already?

Examples:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263322784_Sustained_Improvement_of_Negative_Symptoms_in_Schizophrenia_with_Add-on_tDCS_A_Case_Report1

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256843087_P_199_Prefrontal_transcranial_direct_current_stimulation_tDCS_changes_negative_symptoms_and_functional_connectivity_MRI_fcMRI_in_a_single_case_of_treatment-resistant_schizophrenia

2 Likes