Stress Sensitivity and Psychotic Experiences in 39 Low- and Middle-Income Countries

2 Likes

Severe stress is listed as a risk factor for me. Of course the threshold for “severe stress” may be set lower for a person prone to psychosis or psychotic thinking.
I would like to say I am less emotionally reactive to negative stimuli because of the medication
and I would say there is some truth to that ,but also it may be that there has been a reduction in overall stress inducing events.
Having said that anxiety is a problem at some point during most days. However the tendency to acutely decompensate(for want of a better word) ie increased paranoia,verbal volatility and waywardness , irrationality seems to have taken a back seat.
How I would cope though with a major change is another matter .

1 Like

I bet nutrition is also a factor at play. Like poor nutrition in poorer countries also contributing to more mental health problems.

1 Like

Do you think that would apply to psychosis/schizophrenia? These people seem to think so

Well schizophrenia is still a big umbrella term that very likely includes multiple different issues, disorders/diseases beneath it. So I wouldn’t say that very poor nutrition causes schizophrenia, but more like that very poor nutrition combined with severe stress could cause mental health problems, some of which could present similarly to someone with schizophrenia who has good nutrition and grew up in stable home in the first world. They may very well have two different conditions but could present similarly.

Definitely. Korsakoff psychosis, for example, caused by thiamine deficiency.

I don’t think it “caused” my current schizophrenia, but I was told I was abandoned in an orphanage in South Korea as an infant. My adoptive parents I guess mentioned upon a time that I may have experienced malnutrition during early infancy.

I believe I was simply born with SZ, that I probably just inherited the condition from whoever my biological parents were.