St. John's Wort VS SSRIs

Minnii posted with information about the potential detriments of St. John’s Wort usage in schizophrenia patients (the content of which I wholeheartedly believe). My question is, are SSRIs also detrimental to schizophrenia (or just delusions/hallucinations in general) recovery? It was pretty clear at my pdoc assessment that they want to put me on an SSRI, but I’m wondering if I should decline and stick with the anti-psychotics.

P.S. Obligatory “wort wort wort.” For the Halo fans among us.

RESULTS:
Forty-three (8.1%) of 533 patients were found to have been admitted owing to antidepressant-associated mania or psychosis.
CONCLUSION:
Despite the positive changes in the side effect profile of antidepressant drugs, the rate of admissions due to antidepressant-associated adverse behavioral effects remains significant.

1 Like

Bookmarked for my doctor, I dodged a bullet on that one. Not to mention SSRIs already freak me out, at least now I have a valid reason to decline lol. Thank you!

1 Like

Sarcosine has antidepressant effects, some people reported that including myself.

1 Like

Are there any relevant studies where the participants taking the antidepressants were actually diagnosed with any kind of delusional/hallucinatory disorder? I wonder if that 8.1% would skyrocket.

Might take a little digging and I need to leave now, just google it and see what you find. Beware of the bogus websites :smile:

1 Like

You’re a guardian angel, I could swear it. ttyl :b

1 Like

Ssris don’t touch dopamine, if you are on an ap you should be good to go on ssris.

St. John’s Wort caused my first hospitalization, while it will no trigger psychosis in every sz it will in many.

That stuff made me so agitated, spacey and anger. Within days, I definitely react bad with that stuff.