Should I tell my friends?

I am interested in telling my friends that I have realized I really do have some level of schizotypy. I’m realizing it now that among other things I have always had minor delusions that are not normal. Nothing too crazy, which maybe is why I did not really accept this until my current age, although I had been open to the idea starting a few years ago I mostly thought I was just making it up. I want to let my friends know about this because it explains a lot about my life. But I’m afraid they will take it the wrong way. I assume it’s best not to tell people. But then how do you deal with not being able to tell anyone?

Are you diagnosed? Seeing a doctor? If not, I would encourage you to do so. In my experience, telling my friends was well and dandy. They were part of the “broken” themselves, having various problems. It was my family that didn’t take the news well.

How do you know for sure its schizophrenia? Also, I don’t want to scare you but I’ve read countless stories of people losing friends when they tell them their diagnosis. Don’t you kind of want to find out if you have schizophrenia for sure before you go around announcing it to people who might not be able to handle the news?
If you are really worried about your problems, would it be feasible for you to go to a psychiatrist? It’s better to let a psychiatrist make the diagnosis instead of you. A psychiatrist will talk to you and you and observe you and tell you his opinion. Also, certain other conditions mimic the symptoms of schizophrenia. The doctor will test you for those and tell you if it isn’t those. But yeah, slow down and consider your next move and think it through. Stigma is real.

1 Like

I was diagnosed as schizotypal personality disorder a couple years ago but didn’t take the diagnosis that seriously.

I’m not exactly sure what that diagnosis is but it sounds like the symptoms would be hard to ignore for two years. Are you being treated for it? Are you on meds?

I haven’t had a job in the last couple years so I guess that has helped me ignore it. I am being treated basically for depression but I do not take antipsychotics and I don’t think I need to. My understanding of the diagnosis is that there is a schizophrenia spectrum and I am somewhere on the spectrum but not to the level where I have ever had to be hospitalized.

Does your doctor think you need anti-psychotics?

No

it says I must type 15 characters to make a post

Well, if you end tell your friends, I hope it works out for you and doesn’t cause problems. Have a good night, hello2345.

I live in an assisted living facility and I was told by the executive director of the facility, upon admission, not to tell anyone here about my sza disorder because it would not go over well with the residents. So, I keep both my sza disorder and my bisexuality top secret from everyone here at this place. The age range here, (not including me), is from 83 to 103 and they would not understand.
I have two friends outside of this assisted living facility who are both mentally ill themselves. One has bipolar and she is a lesbian. The other is a straight woman and she is sza. They are both dear friends of mine. They both know everything about me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t, I lost friends and family because of them knowing I have this.

I don’t them blame tho.