Progress in refining the genetic causes of schizophrenia

An international study led by the University of Exeter Medical School has made advances in understanding the ways in which genetic risk factors alter gene function in schizophrenia.

The team focused on both the underlying genetic sequence and DNA methylation - an epigenetic mark which regulates both gene expression and function. By profiling genetic and regulatory variation in the same samples, the group found that many of the genetic variants previously found to be associated with schizophrenia have potential effects on gene regulation. The team also identified epigenetic changes in 26 of 105 regions of the genome previously implicated in schizophrenia, prioritising specific genes for further functional studies and as potential targets for novel treatments.

Full story here:

3 Likes

For those interested in reading the full research paper, it’s available on the Genome Biology website. We may need @mortimermouse to decipher it for us. :relaxed:

What it basically says is “science is winning!”

Part of why I am going back to do a MS instead of the Psy D- it was not scientific enough

1 Like

A fellow nerd! :nerd: :smile:

1 Like

The Asians and Indians will ultimately cure it, I don’t want to sound racist (I’m black and no being a minority doesn’t make me completely innocent) but I just feel like those guys have such an amazing track record. They’re making amazing strides, hopefully Donald Trump doesn’t kick them all out of the country if he gets elected.

Nothing against you mortimermouse you’re a really smart guy too, I just know who I trust to eventually cure schizophrenia.

You’re right- I’m not the strictly scientist type- scientists often don’t even treat as much as the hours I have logged in here!

1 Like