Ontario moves to restrict use of e-cigarettes (Canada)

Keith Leslie, The Canadian Press
Published Monday, November 24, 2014 9:45AM EST
Last Updated Monday, November 24, 2014 4:27PM EST
TORONTO – Ontario moved Monday to regulate the sale of electronic cigarettes, ban all flavoured tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes, and mandate calorie counts on restaurant menus with its Making Healthier Choices Act.
The omnibus bill would treat e-cigarettes just like tobacco cigarettes, with a total ban on sales to youth and on using them in restaurants and public buildings.
“Until we have the evidence as to how bad or what the evidence is on electronic cigarettes, all we’re saying is let’s not get our kids started on this,” said Associate Health Minister Dipika Damerla. “The evidence shows if young kids see people smoking or vaping, they are likely to take up smoking or vaping.”

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/ontario-moves-to-restrict-use-of-e-cigarettes-1.2116105#ixzz3K6GHglNp

2 Likes

I just bought a vaporizer for CBD. It seems like a much healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes.

The reasoning seems a little backwards: “we’re going to ban them until we can prove they’re not dangerous.”

You wouldn’t see the same standards applied to, for example, genetically modified crops: “we’re going to allow them until we can prove they’re dangerous.”

Why the double standard on two similar health scenarios?

(I don’t think either e-cigarettes or GMOs are dangerous — just FYI).

I support restaurants including calorie counts.

I am truly happy about this. They are still nicotine products, and if not, like the ones that are just water vapor, they still encourage smoking.

2 Likes

While I understand what you are saying, I’m not sure I understand the mind set that because protection from GMO’s were not implemented that no one should try to be pro-active or protect people from the possible harm of e-cigarettes? They are two different scenarios and one has nothing to do with the other.

They’re two very similar public health debates.

There is no proof that GMOs are harmful — GMOs are permitted.

There is no proof that e-cigarettes are harmful — e-cigarettes are banned.

It’s a double standard. I doubt e-cigarette makers have the financial lobbying capabilities that, for example, Monsanto wields.

This doesn’t affect me in the States one way or another. Still — if public health was the real concern, they would apply the same standard to both situations.

I would have to look for the articles however some places are trying to ban GMO’s because they can be harmful. Fruits that aren’t producing there own seeds because they have been genetically modified. There was recently an article here in Ontario on the fact that millions of bees are dieing due to GMO corn being planted and GMO corn after this season is banned.

1 Like

There have been articles talking about studies proving that e-cigs are harmful, BUT no article I’ve read cites the study and if it did, how much data could they really have gathered to claim they are dangerous in such a short amount of time? Maybe combining nicotine products like the patch or normal cigarettes and e-cigarettes can lead to the heart problems thy mention.

I personally am trying to quit smoking all together.