Mind-controlled nanobots could release drugs inside your brain

A man has used thought alone to control nanorobots inside a living creature for the first time. The technology released a drug inside cockroaches in response to the man’s brain activity – a technique that may be useful for treating brain disorders such as schizophrenia and ADHD.

Getting drugs to where they need to be exactly when you want them is a challenge. Most drugs diffuse through the blood stream over time – and you’re stuck with the side effects until the drug wears off.

Now, a team at the Interdisciplinary Center, in Herzliya, and Bar Ilan University, in Ramat Gan, both in Israel, have developed a system that allows precise control over when a drug is active in the body.

The group has built nanorobots out of DNA, forming shell-like shapes that drugs can be tethered to. The bots also have a gate, which has a lock made from iron oxide nanoparticles. The lock opens when heated using electromagnetic energy, exposing the drug to the environment. Because the drug remains tethered to the DNA parcel, a body’s exposure to the drug can be controlled by closing and opening the gate.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2102463-mind-controlled-nanobots-could-release-drugs-inside-your-brain/

7 Likes

The folks paranoid with nanobots will probably have a hard time accepting this, it could have two effects: 1) it could be one more reason not to trust pharmaceuticals 2) tablets and pills would no longer be a problem.

Damn I already feel nanobots crawling under my skin. This is soooo triggering!
Just kidding :slight_smile:
Any advancement in neuroscience makes me regain some faith in humanity. We can do it folks!

2 Likes

Yeah, it would freak me out, but I could learn to live with it. Having a pacemaker and delusions about implanted alien monitoring tech is similar territory.

5 Likes

Just do not meet Josphene

2 Likes

at a conference from the world futurist society, there was talk about medical scanning tools will becoming a lot more advanced in the near future, they will be able to detect the exact amount of drug that ‘Your body’ needs compared to just a shot in the dark hoping that a generalized amount will do the trick.
designer drug era catored to the individual. It should be quite helpful if/when it happens!

@Ninjastar Funny video. Hopefully, everyone realizes it’s a satirical video, meant to be funny, not factual. :smile:

1 Like

At first I thought this was a misplaced Unusual Beliefs topic until I read it and realized it was news. Amazing why technology can do. Inspiring.

That video is F**king hilarious. :laughing: I laughed my azz off. I have to share that.