Medicinal marijuana question

In Ohio medical marijuana just passed the senate and house and is now at the governor. It says for one of the qualifing condition you need to have a brain injury. Isn’t schizophrenia considered a brain injury and would enable me or someone else with it here in Ohio to get medical marijuana. If its not a brain injury then how is it hurting my brain and making it defective cause its not a normal brain. It would have to be a brain injury wouldn’t it?

1 Like

You couldn’t pay me to smoke weed again. Paranoia city.

5 Likes

You can’t smoke it here. You can eat it and vape it. And there’s cbd if THC is too much for you. Scientific studies show cbd works better than antipysotic medication

If that’s something that could help me I’m not going be like oh it makes you paranoid so I’m not doing it. Antipysotic medication makes you gain weight but yet everyone doing anyways. Plus the other side effects.

are you a chronic user already? If not, maybe do some research into cbd or get to know the types of strains available so you don’t get those “one hitter quitters” on the first go, as those can be really strong for a newbie.

I ask because sz are highly sensitive to the negative side effects of cannabis. I have smoked on and off since age 17, so it doesn’t have that same catastrophic effects it seems to have on other sz on here.

People here seem to have horrible experiences with cannabis. If you’re absolutely going to do it, please smoke slowly! Don’t smoke an entire bowl or two right away. It’ll take effect immediately—or it will take like 15 minutes to take effect—everyone’s different. Try to be in a calm, not public place. Listen to your favorite music. If you need to fall asleep, fall asleep.

While I am pro-cannabis, the amount of bad experiences on here have convinced me that cannabis is a powerful medicine for sz’s. For me, cannabis has saved my life through suicidal times and helped with the ptsd diagnosis i have, too, but I can’t ignore the comments of others here that say they went batty on pot.

That being said, I got my recommendation by just showing him my bottles of pills. Then again, I also take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs, too, so maybe it’ll be different for you. Good luck! Trek slowly, friend.

I had a medical marijuana license in Arizona when I was still married…schizophrenia is not a brain injury but Congress just passed a law that PTSD validates for the prescription of mmj. If you have PTSD from having schizophrenia you might qualify. good luck. I live in a state where they are pushing for mmj but it looks pretty doubtful here. (Oklahoma)

Do my research yeah that’s funny coming from someone who knows nothing about it. And schizophrenia is a brain injury. Your brain is injured.

ok no need to argue or belittle, i’m just repeating what the populace here has said. Also, thanks for the link, but I prefer academic articles, here’s one that I saved while I had access to the University’s website.

I’m doing my research are you.

i know it is not causal to sz, but it does exacerbate symptoms of paranoia, for example.

i think it’s a little funny that you ask for advice and then belittle people who offer you advice.
again, thanks, but i have read the academic articles these news articles are coming from.

If you read the posted article, it lists CBD as a potential treatment for sz, that’s why I posted that particular article and why I mentioned it in the first place.

Are you the paranoid type of sz? Are you a habitual user? I just wanted to make sure your time on cannabis is awesome, sorry you got defensive about what I said.

Well if you would read it it says even smoking it doesn’t make symptoms worse it actually made it better for the patients

yup, CBD is a viable treatment option for sz. I didn’t tell you not to. I am a sz, and a cannabis user myself.

1 Like

http://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/marijuana-schizophrenia-psychosis-association/article/441267/

No conclusive evidence that there is a link between schizophrenia and marijuana

i know it is not causal to sz, but it does exacerbate symptoms of paranoia, for example.

do your thing, bro. I just wanted to make sure you, a paranoid schizophrenic who may not be a habitual user, had a good experience.

and why did you say my brain is damaged? did you really have to point that out? i thought that was a little uncalled for, tbh. anyways, are not all our sz brains injured?

I don’t dispute medical mj has its uses. It’s treatment of certain seizures is profound.

I just think ON AVERAGE it can be bad for folk with sz.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the people at Harvard know what their talking about… Show me one case where there’s a link between schizophrenia and marijuana. Its seems more like your all anti marijuana and even if it became medicine you’d still say oh its not medicine.

Did you even read my post? I said mj has medicinal applications. Just think folk with sz have enough trouble keeping their ■■■■ together without any other psychotropic ■■■■ interfering.

I used to tell myself weed was fine and had no bad points with my diagnosis. In my case I was wrong. You might be different.

1 Like

How might cannabinoids be useful as medicine?

Currently, the two main cannabinoids from the marijuana plant that are of medical interest are THC and CBD.

THC increases appetite and reduces nausea. The FDA-approved THC-based medications are used for these purposes. THC may also decrease pain, inflammation (swelling and redness), and muscle control problems.

CBD is a cannabinoid that does not affect the mind or behavior. It may be useful in reducing pain and inflammation, controlling epileptic seizures, and possibly even treating mental illness and addictions.

Even treating mental illness so quit trying to take something away from people which may help them

Some people love it, but like you, I don’t enjoy the high.