Losing physical strength from anti-psych med's

Who here has lost signifigant amounts of physical strength because of anti-psych med’s?

You sure it’s the meds?

Antipsychotic meds can make you weaker - but they can also affect Testosterone and Prolactin which are 2 important hormones in the body that could make you feeling weaker.

I would go check yourself out by a family doctor and get blood work done if this is a real concern of yours

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure a large part of it is. Some of it is due to age, but there is no doubt in my mind that the med’s caused a lot of it. The med’s also limit how much I can work out. My body doesn’t recover from working out as quickly as it did. It makes me want to get off med’s. I sometimes wonder if I could make it without the med’s if I cut out the caffeine, meditated, and exercised. I’ve been fairly stable before doing that.

My theory was the high meds and the negative symptoms made me so sedate I just atrophied. Muscle loss happens when there is no use… and due to just sitting blankly… I was loosing muscle.

But my job is pretty physical… I had to work up to getting my strength back.

If your strength is taking a dive pretty quickly… I would also suggest a check up. Make sure there isn’t something else going on.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes

cafeine is for addiction and being alert
meditation is for peace of mind
exercise is for physical health and makes you happy
antipsychotics are for people with schizophrenia
those other 3 don’t target psychosis at all

1 Like

I lose strength in the mornings due to taking Seroquel at night I believe. Comes back in the afternoons.

I think that when supplementing the brain with any outside chemicals takes research and development on the user’s part to reach the desired effect… Hang in there man.

I believe it is listed as a side effect, muscle weakness. However I still managed to push 225 for 6 in bench press while on Invega Sustenna 100 mg. My first experience with risperidone was that I couldnt understand why I was so weak in my body. Later I discovered it was from the med. It was a huge dose though.

At one time I weighed 175 and bench pressed 285. I had been off the weights for a while, but it seemed like I lost a lot of strength when they put me on Moban. Now age is catching up with me. Weight that I used to toss around like a feather is now hard for me to lift. I’m 56, so I guess a lot of that is due to age.

Yes, Im not overly impressed with 225 either. Actually when I lifted when I was 24, after about two months(and a year with intenese kickboxing and a little weights), I was pulling max weight in almost every machine. I dont know what my bench was at the time, but I was seriously strong. Then after I started meds, I seemed to be quite weak. I do believe this is a common side effect, muscle weakness,