Irritating flatness

This is just me… but when the wax build starts to happen I feel cut off from what’s going on around me. It’s not like depersonalization which happens quickly and during a high stress…

This just feels like I’m watching life through a window… I can’t really reach it or feel it.

Peoples words wash over me and I’m barely able to pay attention because even though I’d normally care… I don’t care now. So I sit…numb… just hearing the blah… blah… blah…

It talks longer for me to realize someone asked me a question. It takes long for me to realize a lot of things.

work is easy… I plant things… dig things… clean up parks… work with the city gardens… plants are slow… and it doesn’t matter that I’m slow with them. Oddly enough… my boss complemented me on attention to detail.

I’m not depressed… I don’t feel sad… I just don’t feel…

I know this will pass… I know the pendulum will swing… but for now…

flat and numb…

If you have any ideas… well… I’m always open to ideas.

2 Likes

You are doing alright J. I wish I had advice for you on this.

All I can do is remind you that you aren’t letting anybody down. The people who love you know what you are up against and we are just glad your with us man.

That said I can relate to the degree that when this does occur for me I know its not fun.

A friend is talking to me on the wrong day and I can just barely get through the convo without trying to just shut them up because I just really don’t want to hear/process it.

Hang tight yo…

3 Likes

I get this a lot. Someone speaks to me and it’s like the words fall into a deep, dark well, down down down and once the response comes, it’s so late and muted that it might as well not have happened at all. Responding is such a struggle, like swimming through cotton.

The best thing I’ve found is to be honest, both with the people you’re around and yourself. Explain that you’re a little off, and ask for some patience (from yourself as well) as you work through it. I’ve found that trying to be normal for people who expect me to be normal makes me irritable and prone to say stupid things.

I hope you feel better soon. Give yourself some leeway. You’ve earned it.

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like this too. Sometimes when my husband speaks to me I don’t answer, because I go blank. He gets frustrated and I am shocked out of my reverie when he gets mad at me. He doesn’t understand it when I switch off, he thinks I’m not interested, but I can’t help it, I am just blank, my mind goes dead. I find myself slipping from life into deadness and numbness, I have stare-into-space moments a lot. I cannot stop this, but I can talk about it to let my husband know about it and try to understand.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this J.

You’re right, it always passes.

Somedays I feel like that too and all I need to do is let it slide. We often forget the little feelings we have on the way, like that little moment of anger or that little moment of happiness or that moment when we remember we are not to blame for our illnesses, something. Those are feelings too, and being aware of them keeps us grounded and we see that we’re not so flat after all. Even flatness is an emotion I think, being numb. We can’t feel everything so greatly all the time… that’s not good also.

Hope you feel better J.

1 Like

Its a terribly odd feeling. I have found no cure for this curse of neutrality. I find solice in knowing If we lived in a different time we would be the soothsayers and shamans. It might be an inherited defense mechanism wich the sz has the potential to activate.

Try to look at the small things. Like a nice cup of coffee. And don’t be too hard on yourself

2 Likes

If I get like this I avoid group conversations. I would get myself in a position whereby I talk to just one person, away from others. That helps for me. A lot of stimuli when you feel like you feel will cause you not to worry cause you cannot cope with it. You know the old saying…how do you eat an elephant? …small pieces at a time!
The same with your wax build up…break it down in smaller chunks you can handle…first things first and the rest will just have to wait. Strongs man. Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been feeling dead or flat for a while now - hopefully it will pass soon for you @SurprisedJ

3 Likes

book a holiday?
hasnt too be expensive or far

just too get your senses in a different scenario/scenery?
out of the drudgery of daily life.

might help you.

1 Like