I feel like this diagnosis has ruined my life

I was 19, a grade 6 drop out that somehow managed to self teach myself into a network technician job which lead to a job in network security. It was great pay, I had my own car, apartment. It was amazing. Of course the less amazing part was how I thought my family was trying to kill me and that my boss was involved w organized crime. So I quit my job, spent my savings, then when I had basically nothing I heard voices making me go to the hospital where I learned I’m schizophrenic. It’s been just over a year and I’ve been in the psych ward 5 times. Recently bc I tried to kill myself with morphine and 60 mg of Klonopin. I live w family, my boss won’t hire me back, I have no friends (haven’t for a decade), no girlfriend. Basically no purpose. All of a sudden I don’t give a damn about technology or maths. Ive tried so many medications. Where’s the hope? Sorry, needed to vent.

5 Likes

Life is best when the mind is flexible and can adapt to the current situation with little stress over what had been.

1 Like

True. I need to accept it fully in order to adapt. It just seems to be such a slow process. Thanks for the insight though.

1 Like

It might get better though. Maybe if you keep trying meds you’ll end up with the right combination and you’ll be able to get a new job. Hang in there!

I feel the same dude. stay strong & have patience.

3 Likes

It takes a few years to adapt to the radical change of life this illness imposes on us. But remember that it is still possible to live a happy life even with schizophrenia. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t blame the Dx, blame the brain damage

I blamed the illness / diagnosis too. You have SZ but your diagnosis doesn’t define you.

SZ has ruined my life.
Over time I have been forced to accept this outcome.
I have no choice but to accept it.
Ultimately not all of us get to function well.

1 Like

I feel you. I feel like this diagnosis has ruined my life too! I am 19, I was just about to attend college when I first started hearing voices and went into a full blown psychosis. Now I feel like I have no purpose here anymore…

I feel the same way. Dx’ed at 14, I’m 37. (Sza)For some years I was ok with this life. Then I kept getting exposed to what the normies have. Later I heard of people with similar illnesses that had made a life for themselves. It was after I thought I had hope and I realized it was likely a false hope, that is what started off and on depression

well at least you have family to support you? that is a very valuable asset to have…don’t be too hard on yourself. It takes working with your pdoc to get the meds you need to not have side effects…please don’t give up. I am sorry to hear of your suicide attempt.