How many years you put to recover?

I had this too. It was like a horror movie. It has gone now.

I was required 20 years fully. In my terms recovery is when we use minimum or out of medication. With taking medicine if we behave normally, it has no means.

A lot of my symptoms started diminishing in intensity when I was in my mid forties. Some of my delusions went away too. But I still had episodes as recently as 8 years ago. The kind where I sat in a chair night after night and hung on for dear life to my little grasp of sanity for an hour or more and I couldnā€™t relax. Iā€™m 56 now and a lot of things have changed since those days. I donā€™t have long drawn-out episodes anymore. Itā€™s a lot harder to act normal though now but I still manage to most of the time. Socializing drains me sometimes. Lifeā€™s tricky, complicated nature can thro me sometimes. The people at my mental health clinic tell me Iā€™m doing good. Knock on wood.

1 Like

I am lucky. I have been sick for 12 years but as soon as I began to take an antipsychotic, I started to recover right away and it was really fast. Just some months after, I was already ready to come back to university and 2 years later, I started working again and I am now fully functional.

The only problem I have are the many unwanted side effects of the antipsychotic.

5 Likes

3 years going on 4

I get that but then it just comes back full force no motivation avolition flatness. It comes and goes for me the past 3 years

Till a cure Iā€™m doing my best. Itā€™s better than most but I still have breakthroughs but Iā€™ve been on the same meds for like 7 years so Iā€™m not in the mood to change of that anytime soonā€¦

Meanwhile. I live as large as I can and have fun! Myself and that cat Charlie!

1 Like

I am a little bit mad about that question because I could never ask it, and I was never free, and I just had to go on.

18 months to 3 years is supposed to be the time frame of stability. Recovery is something else altogether, and a tricky one. It is particular to each person and looks different in every case @Anna1

I lost my job, moved a couple of times. My partner and i have stayed together for about 9 years 7 of it after i got sick.

you see, cbbrown, you had some form of lifeā€¦ with me, nobody will get together with me. Plus i am so confused that i dont know who i like, who i dislike. i just feel my savage animalesque libido sometimes thatā€™s all. but i cant feel love without some form of suffering. you are an easier case than me, i am sureā€¦ you wouldnā€™t have had a partner if you were like meā€¦

Ive suffered with SZ/Bipolar for decades and Im still not recovered.
If anything, Ive gotten worse.
I havent been the same since last years Hospitalizations.

i am sorry for this waveā€¦ i guess we are a bit the same. are there a lot of schizophrenics who are alone, without a partner? i think its the illness who beats every other illness on that lol :frowning: . I just want to ruminate like this every night cause because of this my soul hurts. is it possible to stop ruminating? or its the loneliness who became an habit wave, can you tell it please?

1 Like

Im sorry for you @Anna1.
I know how you feel.
It does hurt and it sometimes feels good for me to rant or complain.
Please hang in there - new meds are on their way.

For 2 years my partner was with me before i got sick, she loves me so she has seen meds fail over and over again. Just now is her patience is paying off

1 Like

Nick I wonder if that is whatā€™s happening with me. Iā€™m 36 and all of the sudden itā€™s like itā€™s way better. Dxā€™ed at 14.

1 Like

Some of the people around here hear the voices NONSTOP for 15 years medicated or not, sometimes longerā€¦You learn to ignore it and function at 1-2 years and is just background noise sometimes. Insomnia is hard one, seroquel 50mg-400mg cut into pieces and taken at bedtime is huge help. Donā€™t eat more than 200 calories before you do this. Sleep like a baby on this stuffā€¦

I was working and going to school again in 1 year, self supported for 18 years (8 years hearing it)ā€¦Back with family for a while after moving to cheap apartments and not safe there alone. Ran up too much debt moving ā€¦ Job situation and bad policing around here (after bad relationship cops/courts ignore) motivated me to give up my home of 12 years. Found much better jobs elsewhere but unsafe living situation made me leave itā€¦Couldā€™nt afford any better places. I donā€™t take roommates after knowing Single White Femaleā€™s family.

Social problems can be worseā€¦Watched other females deal with this area, especially in my field and better deal to work online and be away from hostile workplace/discrimination problems around here. Ended up screwed out of good job more than once and denied unemployment after running into troubled coworkers who go symptomatic around meā€¦other employers hiding abusers who screw out low-paid female labor every 4-6 months, unemployment denied. Social situations at the jobs got too bad or so close to law-suit for responsible work at terrible pay, working online is only way to be okay hereā€¦

Ditto for meā€¦

1 Like

For me, the hardest part was the first 2 1/2 years starting when I was 19. So even when I was in my twenties and thirties and still feeling psychotic sometimes and paranoid, but I was working and compared to the early years, I was doing great.

1 Like

My recovery will always be ongoing, but the first several years were the worst. Now itā€™s more a matter of maintenance.

2 Likes