For those with bipolar-type sza

What sort of person did you turn into when hypomanic or manic?

When I was hypomanic, I became an obnoxious jackass. Talked loud and fast, and talked A LOT. I loved debating people, because I typically could tear my opponent apart due to how lightning fast my thoughts were. I would be debating someone, and as I talked I would be planning my next move. In fact, I would be thinking two or three moves ahead, like I was playing chess. Yeah, people don’t like being ripped to shreds like that, didn’t win many friends that way. I know a lot of people become hypersexual or engage in major risk-taking behavior in such a state, but that was never me.

After I had been cycling for a while, my hypomanic episodes would progress to severe mania, which is not fun. I didn’t consider it severe unless it was uncomfortable. My thoughts were wayyyy too fast; I once described it to a psychiatrist as feeling like my mind was running away from me. The physical energy also was way too much, to the point of discomfort. So yeah, I wasn’t on top of the world and social when I got to that severe state.

Hypomania always felt wonderful, but the down side to it was the regret and embarrassment that I felt after I came down from it, realizing how I had acted.

1 Like

I have bipolar disorder, but not sz. I have only been manic once and it was nonstop anger. Inability to get my point across when taking, racing thoughts and feelings of hostility. I would never want to relive that but it still want as bad as having a psychotic episode.

I guess you could say I became quite agitated during severe manic episodes, but not exactly angry.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s much, if anything, in the realm of MI that is worse than a psychotic episode.

2 Likes

Doctors are not sure if I have Schizoaffective or Bipolar with Psychotic Features.
I can become Purely Euphoric Manic especially while taking Antidepressant type meds.

I normally have mixed episodes, Mania mixed in with depression.

I had mixed episodes when I was cycling very rapidly, when things were really getting out of control. I would be psychologically depressed while physically manic, the worst of both worlds. Mixed episodes are terrible.

2 Likes

They are just Awful.

2 Likes

When I get manic, I talk a lot and loudly. People tell me that they can’t get a word in edgewise. So, they just let me garble on and on. And I argue over everything. I’m not very pleasant to be around.

2 Likes

I talk a lot and argue a lot… But my main thing is that I become very hypersexual. I also get into risk taking behaviors from shoplifting to sex with strangers. Once I was arrested for this.