Do you let a diagnosis bother you?

I don’t think the dx’s are cut and dry. They are along a spectrum ranging from sz to sza to bp to depressed to normal with every variation in between. Its likely that you fall somewhere between the sz and sza dx’s. I also think that we fluctuate over time. Like when you are more psychotic you tend to lean more sz and when you are more lucid you might be more sza.

1 Like

At first I thought this subject was going to be about “do you let your diagnosis bother you as compared with people who haven’t been diagnosed.” I don’t let my diagnosis bother me either way. At first I was diagnosed with major depresssion for about eight years. Then that changed to depression with psychotic features. Then that changed to schizoaffective disorder with depression. Then that changed to paranoid schizophrenic. Now the DSM V has removed all subcategories of schizophrenia, so I guess I just have schizophrenia. My regular doctor has me labled still under schizoaffective disorder. But he does not deal with my psychiatric problems.

2 Likes

My diagnosis bothered me at first, mainly because of my prognosis, which was “suicide by age 40” but now I like being me and I rock out with my c**k out.

The label can work to your advantage, like making everything we do more impressive because we have a disability. I love being good at things and “disabled.”

But I don’t like the symptoms, they suck. I like being awesome despite the symptoms, that doesn’t suck.

Thanks for the replies. It’s interesting to hear other people’s opinions. I just got home from my therapy appointment and we talked about it some. She diagnosed me with sz because I have more hallucinations where sza has a huge mood component, more delusions, and more disorganization. And thanks for the Birthday wishes. I spent the day with my boyfriend which made it an awesome birthday. :sunny:

Maybe because you are going or have gone for ECT, your proc is the king scizaffective, because ECT is often used for major depression.  Maybe he just does not know enough of your history to give you an accurate diagnosis, but truthfully, all it comes down to is a word, does it really matter what he diagnosespecially you as, as long as you and your loved ones know the truth?

I spent so many years with both diagnosesis, currently it is schizophrenia, but I have a strong mood component so I cannot see how they can diagnose me the way they have. But hey, it is just a word, right? All that really matters is that they treat you with the right meds, and that the meds are helping you.
((((((((hugs ))))))))
kitty

1 Like

fully agree…ive been diagnosed with at least 7 different disorders. and ive come to realize that all that matters is finding that right medication and that right therapist. diagnoses arent directed at one individual anyways. they are like guidebooks on what medication and what kind of treatment to give. therefore they will never be 100% accurate. much love, morgan <3

happy birthday… :cake: i made you some cake.
take care :alien:

4 Likes

@darksith Thank you it was delicious! :beer: I had it with some beer :yum: :sunny:

4 Likes

It’s a diagnosis, a word. Does it bother me? It use to but know I dont care what they call me. I’m on the right meds (they work). I am back to myself. It’s a journey a hard one at times and as far as I’m concerned I take a pill that helps me be me. Saying that everyone is different and has different experiences with their illness. If you are questioning your meds and think they need to change discuss it or get another therapist that suits you better. Doctors are only half the solution. I believe you know yourself better then anyone and it takes work to be healthy. Take care of yourself.

1 Like

I didn’t have the trouble of being diagnosed with a variety of disorders or of different diagnoses over time, in fact, my pdoc said I was one of the easiest diagnoses he ever made. I do know that for me it was not so much a burden to get the diagnosis of sz. Before I came to the pdoc I already talked myself out of the telepathic delusion I was having and was framing that as an interpretation that caused me much distress. Moreover, that interpretation didn’t seem to hold any promise of the distressing phenomena I was experiencing to go away. That’s why I was hoping for the alternative interpretation of a mental disorder, for I knew there were at least treatments for those, at least there was some hope of relieve. Against the backdrop of some of the delusions I had I am still glad it is ‘merely’ schizophrenia.

1 Like