Being over 40

Hi

I really need to hear that others have been crushed with Psychosis - eating all your dreams of what you could have done with your life

I really need to hear that someone, after a very poor prognosis over a lot of years - has had an exceptional recovery (while on medication obviously - i would never mess with that again.)

I have asked this question in other words and not getting any responses - need to re phrase it all

I hope that now i am over 40 (sorry this feels all wrong of course i want to keep growing) I can feel accomplished without needing to try - itā€™s too old for the very young to respect you - but not so old that adults would no longer respect youā€¦ I hope this last 10 years of slow recovery - marriage and time away from hospital is enough to move on and do something that is a dream - professionalism always got me back in hospital i am terrified of it - somehow the stress of just that idea put me in hospital - i wonder if that is anything to do with not wanting children - being afraid of responsibility in the extreme

maybe i can be professional now,

I hope i am not making a mistake accepting this professional position - i have had ZERO luck for 25 years with anything professional

Sorry if this reads as boasting or gloating - i have been floating on air and glowing all over that this opportunity has come my way - and itā€™s just another excuse to get paranoid / stressed / how do i recover ? how? do i ? is this going to end in a **** up?
all the dreams of my heart have failed

sorry to go on about it i have no experience of seeing someone recover to the extent that they seem to talk about on certain websites. i have only found reason to hope the longer i have been well 10 years is a long time

Encouraging facts about schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is treatable. Currently, there is no cure for schizophrenia, but the illness can be successfully treated and managed. The key is to have a strong support system in place and get the right treatment for your needs.
You can enjoy a fulfilling, meaningful life. With the right treatment, most people with schizophrenia are able to have satisfying relationships, work or pursue other meaningful activities, be part of the community, and enjoy life.
Just because you have schizophrenia doesnā€™t mean youā€™ll have to be hospitalized. If youā€™re getting the right treatment and sticking to it, you are much less likely to experience a crisis situation that requires hospitalization.
Most people with schizophrenia get better over time, not worse. People with schizophrenia can regain normal functioning and even become symptom free. No matter what challenges you presently face, there is always hope.

i never believed all that

1 Like

Iā€™ll put my two cents in.

I was put in my first psyche ward in 1980 when I was 19. I quickly turned psychotic and thatā€™s when the suffering started, I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. After an excruciating mental hell for two weeks, my parents found a world famous house for schizophrenics and I moved in.

This place was founded on the premise that schizophrenics in psychosis can recover without medication or hospitals if you place them in a house in a neighborhood community with 6 or 7 counselors who had no experience in the mental health field but they were just hired because they were friendly, tolerant, and understanding. There were few rules and you could come and go as you please and you could act as bizarre as you wanted but violence was not tolerated.

The founders claimed a recovery rate of greater than people who were treated with medication or who were in hospitals. it was an interesting idea but it failed for me so I spent a year in psychosis without medication, doctors or therapists. It was hell for every minute of every day for a year. Itā€™s hard to put into words the torture I wernt through psychologically. I barely survived, I donā€™t know how my brain could take so such tremendous stress and torture and survive. Iā€™ve never heard voice but I had many delusions. Interesting enough, I never had the classic delusions that many schizophrenics suffer from about religion, or the CIA or FBI, or implanted chips, or being spied upon, or aliens etc. I never had any of those. I was paranoid for sure and I had bizarre thoughts and perceptions, but I looked and acted so normal on the outside that I could freely go almost anywhere I wanted with out anybody having a clue that I was an insane paranoid schizophrenic.

In fact, a week after I got out of the hospital I walked up and down the bust streets of the large city I was in and I put in a dozen applications for jobs in the stores and businesses. I got two job offers and I chose a doughnut shop. I did this without telling my parents or the staff at my new digs. When my parents found this out they literally both laughed at my job ethic that they had installed in me. But they told me, ā€œNick, you donā€™t have to work, just concentrate on taking it easy and getting betterā€. So I spent a year there.

I was 19 and I had no job, no car, no friends, no sanity, no schooling, no girlfriend, no money, no independence. I got kicked out after a misunderstanding. My next move was directly into a locked psychiatric hospital. By the way, the first house did nothing for me except make me worse. I moved into the hospital and then the real suffering started.

I didnā€™t thing I could get much worse but I was wrong. But at least I was finally put on medication which didnā€™t help me get better but it stopped me from getting much worse. i have a million stories about the 8 months I lived there. I could tell you about the violence, the sex, the bizarrely tragic behaviour, the laughter but I wonā€™t list any except to say that I saw and some pretty scary bizarre stuff there. Iā€™ll cut this short.

Obviously, while I was hospitalized I still didnā€™t have a car or friends or anything else. But I somehow survived that place too.

I got out and moved into a nice group home. I started getting a little relief from my hell in small increments. The popular word that the doctors used in the eighties was ā€œstableā€. It meant becoming less psychotic, more level headed, less drastic ups and downs and more functional Well, I joined a vocational program and after 9 months I got a job. I stayed there four years. I was the most psychotic unhinged employee you would ever see, lol. But no one could tell, lol!!! Unfortunately my recovery got side tracked for four years with a bad crack addiction which I later conquered when I was 30 years old.

Well, things started slowly happening for me. I had my job, I got a car, I had a nice house with two other schizophrenics, I made a couple of friends, I started going to clubs and out to eat. I was living near what society wanted. To make a long story short, Iā€™m 55 years old now. I am looking back at being employed for almost 33 years at various jobs. I have owned a driven my own cars since 1997. I enrolled myself in colleges and I need only four more classes for my degree.

I have lived outside the mental health system independently from 1995 until a year age. I have flown across the country several times since I was diagnosed. I was best man at my dads wedding. I have been to some top name rock concerts in my disease. Iā€™ve been white water rafting, camping, jet skiing, water-skiing, hiking, the beach. Comedy clubs, bars, parties, picnics. Iā€™ve been to over a thousand AA, CA, and NA, meetings. Iā€™ve dated a little ( not much but I havenā€™t given up). Anyway, I hope this is the kind of story youā€™re asking for. I came from the darkest depths of mental illness when I was young to living a full life in many ways.

How did I do it? Lots of help, lots of luck, medication and lots of hard work. Life is extremely rough for me right now but I am happier now than I have been in 35 years. I like myself. I like other people. I like making people laugh. I like talking to people and taking walks and having dinner at my sisters every week. I like relaxing. I signed up for my next college class. Iā€™ll see how that goes. I am losing some weight that was bothering me. People like me for the first time in my life.

I hope this helped . Good luck.

4 Likes

Thank you - it makes my issues with ā€˜professionalismā€™ or impressing Daddy or whatever seem less importantā€¦ see them for what it is and really realise i have no clue if I will have a breakdown by tomorrow or never again

Thanks

Very real

itā€™s also a very very great story of someone who has not that many hang ups compared with meā€¦ if i drop all my hang ups all that happens is they come back anyway :wink:

you have worked loads - i had a very unhealthy job ethic from my obsessive workaholic sadistic pedophile father

and itā€™s not like he wasnā€™t into high achievement in study and work etc

Iā€™m actually sounding annoyed here - iā€™m sorry i am just a bit tense itā€™s not meant to be rude i have concerns about lung cancer this evening

congrats on the nearly Degree, thatā€™s really amazing
xxx

1 Like

Hi Nick. I always enjoy reading about your recovery but Iā€™m just curious about something. Why did they diagnose you with Paranoid Schizophrenia if you didnā€™t have hallucinations and bizarre delusions?

@Thanna Iā€™m not over 40 but I was diagnosed with sza at 13, sz at 26, and am now 32. My road to recovery has been a slow one but Iā€™m making a lot of progress. I graduated with my BS last year at the top of my class. I have a boyfriend Iā€™ve been dating for two and a half years who I love tremendously. I do live with my mom but Iā€™m getting better at managing the house. Sometimes itā€™s a struggle to leave the house but Iā€™m getting better at that too. My new favorite thing is to go to Starbucks and read my books while drinking coffee. My therapist recommended getting out of the house and being around people every day. I donā€™t do it everyday but I try. I think the biggest part of recovery is your attitude. Iā€™ve always had the attitude to fight. Fighting the positive symptoms is a little easier than fighting the negatives but if you do a little each day in a yearā€™s time youā€™ll be miles ahead.

Finishing school has been my proudest accomplishment. Iā€™ve been in college since I was 18. I went off and on and changes majors for years. Finally I found a program that was right for me and I did it. Iā€™ve been job hunting since I graduated and it scares me to death. Iā€™ve never worked full time in my life as the stress always set my symptoms off and I would end up in the hospital. My goal is to work full time and one day marry my boyfriend. I have a lot of coping skills and support and believe I can do it. Good luck to you. :sunny:

1 Like

Hi also huge congrats on your degree

I have not attempted that again after my stop starts, but most of my stop starts gave me writing practice and now I write for theatre

Fighting is not what i would call the thing that gave me the best defence, in fact the opposite.
I only got to where i am by surrendering that I would never have my dreams after trying dream after dream and all being completely gone a psychosis laterā€¦

I think with this achievement maybe i will fight for itā€¦ but i have been told by my psych that he wonā€™t give me any more meds increases and to slow down

Thatā€™s pretty scary cos i canā€™t now

i have funding for a 2 weekends run at 2 different theatres and hopefully 2 different community venues that will be my first full length play produced - May next year

1 Like

oops i thought id replied

Hi SunGirl. I donā€™t know. I was diagnosed and I saw my chart and it was written ā€œParanoid schizophreniaā€. Everybody involved in my case or who was close to me knew my diagnosis. My parents kept in close touch with every hospital and program I was in during almost my whole illness. Nobody told me anything different so I guess the doctors and my parents must have been satisfied with my diagnosis and if they agreed with it, than that was good enough for me.

1 Like

I was diagnosed 12 years ago at 34 im now 46 ive been stable for 5 years and i havent heard voices in years im still on meds but a low dose Im in a relationship for 7 years which has helped me a lot and i have a lot less stress than i used to i also changed my diet gave up sugar and junk food and that has helped a lot try and eat a really healthy diet and exercise and not to much stress

1 Like

And that makes my problems seem so small and insignificant. I sure hope some of the damage that he caused you has been undone.

1 Like

heā€™s pedophile to other peoples children and basically anything he says or writes or hints at is about sex.

Iā€™ve not been kept in a basement. sorry not funny irony.

my work ethic was very high achievement oriented and (thanks to my father) i had to be superhuman so that didnā€™t work.