Anyone a member of NAMI

Is anyone here a member of NAMI? How are their peer to peer meetings?

I’m a member of NAMI but haven’t gone to any peer to peer. I meet peers at support groups however, and they give me new ideas which help me out. They’re higher functioning than I am and are able to lead functional lives, which encourages me to do the same! You never know who you’ll meet!

How are they higher functioning? What groups did you attend?

My parents went to a NAMI course and “graduated” from it. I really appreciate it bc they have more compassion for what I’m going through. I’m to socially anxious tho so I don’t really go to anything. I should tho

Ive been to the peer to peer meetings. I was one of two including the instructor that worked there were maybe 6-7 people there. Everyone got a chance to express themselves. I found a christian group that’s more positive so I go there sometimes

They’re in their 20s like me and live independently or go to school or have part time jobs. They are nice and social, and have made an effort to live normally. One lives in supported housing and is a substitute teacher. She goes out often, cares for herself, has friends, and makes me think I could one day be like her too.

2 Likes

The NAMI peer group near me is a mix of diagnoses. It is hard to find another SZA person. I suppose people with different diagnoses could help me too. But I have too much social anxiety to go to meetings. This is a better forum for me, more anonymous.

The meetings are led by peers so they vary widely. You’ll have to try out multiple meetings to find out which one you like. I don’t go anymore, but I had to shop around to find a meeting I liked. Good luck!

They are crap. Unless ur load is light. Mostly ppl with mood problems. I felt like slapping someone in the face cuz they seem so proud of overcoming not much.

1 Like

I am a member or at least I was.