Any fans of classic mythology here

I’m reading a story here and there from Edith Hamilton’s “Mythology” a classic retelling of essential stories, written in the 40s.

Headed to the bookstore in a minute. Any recommendations for this genre?

4 Likes

Literature’s history is mythology’s history. :slight_smile:

I just finished a british book about symbolism of animals used in classical british architecture… mostly churches…

Would recommend any beastuaries… beastieries… beast books from the middle ages… usually they have “first hand” description… what they eat where they lurk ect… gets a little heavy when mixing with alchemy…

The unicorns origins and progression of embelishments through the years is pretty cool… how you catch a unicorn is kinda funny… one writer said what you do with a captured unicorn is of the utmost weight and should be thought through before doing…lol

I’ve never even heard of this. I always learn new stuff about animals from Flame. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Ended up getting these

7 Likes

Ah yeah I read that years back. I’ve always liked mythology since I was little. I used to have those computer games about it too, age of mythology, super fun.

I wonder if far into the future when our civilizations are considered ancient if our major religions will also be considered mythology.

2 Likes

Whats kinda bad…and badass… the most complete beastiary ive ever seen was in the video game the witcher as far as fantastical creatures… even with the modern embellishments its a pretty complete overlook on the thought process of early observatory science complete with if you sin in a certain way these are your possible punishments and classic ways to remedy a love one afflicted… some of them are truly horrible…both the beast and the cure…

1 Like

Who knows, today’s major religions are heavily mixed with philosophy, metaphysics and ethics…
Most ancient religions were about myths(stories and tales) and rituals.

I like philosophy and metaphysics but I gotta watch what I read because it can trigger anxiety! Same thing with physics.

1 Like

You like mythology? How about a book by Donald Trump titled, " A List of all the Good Things I Have Done For America"?

3 Likes

That ones Not so much a book…Its more like 2 twitter posts paraphrased by dolphins in ancient dodo… meep honk …

2 Likes

Rumi and his books are undisputable and original in this gener, try them out,

Ive never read this… thanks for giving me reading material for atleast an hour…

1 Like

idk the author but i like dragons like the one in the hobbit smaug and other mythical creatures :slight_smile:

1 Like

by classic mythology you mean Greek?