A case of successful CBT for negative symptoms

Clinical Issues and Summary

Kelly’s case illustrates that CBT for negative symptoms is built upon traditional
cognitive behavioral therapy principles but also relies critically on the therapist’s
creativity and openness to use the session as a laboratory in which entrenched
dysfunctional beliefs are examined and debunked.

Kelly’s case illustrates a common etiological pathway in which neurocognitive impairment contributes to setbacks and failures that, in turn, result in dysfunctional beliefs that freeze clients into a shell of
avoidance and withdrawal that shields them from further disappointment.

The goal of CBT for negative symptoms is not necessarily to restore clients to their premorbid
level of functioning, but rather to help them break out of this shell by mobilizing
their personal and situational resources and fostering emotionally meaningful reengagement
with the world around them. Despite his significant progress and the
relatively long duration of treatment, Kelly still has much to accomplish.

Negative symptoms can persist long after other symptoms of schizophrenia have resolved.
Realistically, CBT for negative symptoms may entail openness to longer term
treatment that includes interval booster sessions after the completion of an initial
course of therapy, much like we have begun to conceptualize, extended and episodic
treatments in general medicine for chronic illness to ensure sustained effects, a
reduction in the rate of demoralizing relapses, and maintenance of positive functional
outcomes.

Full read:

4 Likes

Yes, I’m working on this in my therapy and it’s working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it helping for negative symptoms of Urs…???
Pretty strange…!!!

Can you find a therapist in Nepal, @far_cry0? The therapist in this article was pretty good, and he worked with the patient for about one year and the progress was great.

1 Like

i am struggling to find one …My current pdoc says i dont have sz…so
i am waiting for money from my brother(U.S) and sister(Australia)…i am planning to see therapist from expensive hospital …
btw @Andrey are u satisfied by the service of ur present therapist…???its my bad i still haven’t found good one…!!!hope u are doing fine bro…stay cool and happy…!! ur friend in struggle…!!! Far…!!!

1 Like

Not that strange, I mostly have avolition and periods of depression. I learn ways to deal with it.

1 Like

My current pdoc hasn’t even heard of deficit schizophrenia or CBT. I tried to find a therapist for CBT in the capital city ( I live in a small country town) but so far my research was fruitless. I keep looking though.
Thanks, take care my man !

1 Like