Yesterday was bad - Antipsychotic medications and overheating

I’ve been on AP’s for quite a while now. I just about reach my limit mowing one small lawn in the summer heat. I sweat a lot, and I feel weak afterwards. It takes a long time for me to stop sweating. The same is true about the cold with me. I can’t stand much exposure to the winter cold either. I used to like to go backpacking, but that is out of the question for me since I have been put on AP’s.

1 Like

I called them back they blew me off…I’m starting to feel my sanity crumbling…

Can you look online to see if there’s a walk-in urgent care clinic in your city? They’re typically open 7 days a week.

There’s not one that can handle what I need…the mostly deal with colds…I may take a valuim…but that’s not going to fix the fact I haven’t taken my ap…

Can you Google your city and “mental health emergency” to see if there are any mental health clinics with psychiatric emergency walk-in appointments?

2 Likes

It’s the er…the place I go and a fast pace…2 of them will send me to a mental health facility…and the place I go has 1 hour before they close…

It might be worth a try to just go to the place you normally go and just show up (if you can get there before they close).

Tell them you skipped your ap dose because you were having concerning symtoms that might be side effects of your ap and you need them to advise you urgently what to do.

I told them twice over the phone…I think I’m withdrawing its almost been 24 hours since I skipped so that’s 48 hours since I had a dose…

Yeah, but you’d be harder to ignore if you talk to them face-to-face I would guess. Did you talk to a receptionist, a nurse, or a doctor when you called them?

3 Likes

Recep…the nurse called the doc who isn’t in today to see what to do…I think their trying to order me a diff ap…but she’s having problems choosing one…

Well maybe call back one more time and say it’s truly urgent and you realize they’re closing soon and you really need this addressed before they close for the day.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea…thank you all for the info and support

2 Likes

I’m still not feeling the best should I take my meds now like I usually would or should I just skip again…my chest still hurts and I still feel dizzy… @Moonbeam…the doc didn’t get back to me even though I called again…

I’m sorry to hear your doctor didn’t get back to you. I really don’t know what to tell you.

Do you know if your local hospital has a 24 hr advice line? Some hospitals have this to help answer questions and to help assess if you need to go in to the ER.

One question is whether the chest pain and dizziness is a side effect of the ap or not. A doctor would need to evaluate you to figure out what’s going on with you.

Have you made sure you’ve consumed plenty of liquids to make sure you’re staying hydrated ?

Is your gf there with you if you do need to go to the ER?

@Rhubot @shutterbug do you have any suggestions for Flame?

I think it may be withdraw …maybe…like I said its been 48 hours since I last took any…I was too scared to take any yesterday…

Have you had chest pain and dizziness the entire 48 hrs since your last dose?

Take some aspirin, Flame, for the chest pains.

What’s your job? What was going on when you started feeling like this?

My meds mess up my heat sensitivity, too. I can’t stay outside too long when it’s humid, even when the temp is only in the 80s.

Your symptoms, by the way - dizziness and throwing up - sound like med induced heat exhaustion. The chest pains are probably from stopping your meds abruptly along with the stress of the situation.

What symptoms were you having when?

1 Like

@flameoftherhine How’re you feeling now?

I took a valuim…calmed me down some…I took some asprin for my chest pains and I ate and have been hydrating…should I skip my med tonight and call the doc in the morning asap…or should I take it and hope…

2 Likes