Will schizophrenia medication reduce lifespan for years?

Good I’m glad you’re keeping up with your health. Meds can be a life saver, but only as long as they’re balanced with a healthy lifestyle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the difference in lifespan is due to suicides. Would not worry about the meds except the weight gain that is so common. The low card diet reduces the weight gain & increased likelihood of diabetes. South Beach is real easy diet plan to follow with real food, healthy and pretty cheap…

Extra stress I’m sure plays a factor, especially with the suicide rates. Limit social contact to the positives or day program… Or just accept some people do not act okay to schizos due to their own problems and ignore it when you want to go out. I’ve had people just get up and move, ‘I don’t want to listen to this’. I was silent. Some events get tougher crowd than others but some of the richies can be an interesting show just as much as the blue collars.

This is just what happened to some of the victims of the local sex abuse ring…Churches turned to hate mongering some of the victims who ended up on social security payments after bad mental care here. These church people are angry because they don’t get assistance and they had to hear it too sometimes. Some of the churchies & dangerously nutty ones you just have to consider nuts & avoid them. Act like you don’t know the person and walk right past them, some are told to even stalk you for verbal harassment (thought broadcasting).

Keeping emotionally health and some positive contact with friends/family is most important for us.

2 Likes

I have sz and I have arthritis in my back.

High rate of suicide isn’t a cause 1 in 10 in the general population is not so different

I recently stopped serequel at my drs request because of the diabetes risk

3 Likes

Yes, but he stopped taking meds…

Quote: “Nash expressed some reservations about the way in which his life was portrayed in A Beautiful Mind. Most significantly, he objected to the fact that in the film he is shown as remaining on medication. Indeed, in a scene set around the time of his Nobel nomination in 1994, Nash’s character, played by Russell Crowe, explicitly credits his recovery, at least in part, to newer medication. The truth is that Nash stopped taking any medication in 1970. The line is a fabrication, and a conscious one.”

2 Likes

The suicide rate in the general population is nowhere near 1 in 10.

It’s around 10 to 30 per 100,000.

@twinklestars Yes but in psychiatric condition the people that suicide itself normally are drug abuser heroin and cocain users and so on

Hey I am from Malaysia too,it do reduce lifespan.Just do things that makes you happy,it’s far more important

I hope I die at age 40,haha

@Gtx1990 you will die at age 89

No hahaha,please don’t let me live till 89

Yes its real, problem though is many people with schizophrenia lead lifestyles that would do similar to any person, not just diagnosed. You see thats the rub, and what all these antimedication fanatics dont seem to get…

In my estimate the medications lengthen the lifespan and don’t reduce it.

Wesley, yes he did stop taking medication because he got his sympthoms under control, when any sz diagnosed can do the same, they can bin their meds, until such time they can do that, then be prepared for meds…

My mom died at 35 years old and she had sz, high blood pressure and diabetes, she was on seroquel. She also smoked. Her heart just gave up.

Where did you hear that? I’ve never heard that. I don’t think that’s right. Most people, schizophrenic or not, who attempt suicide are depressed. That could cover anyone. Depression seems to be the major factor is suicide attempts. I wouldn’t say the major factor is addiction or alcoholism.

Sadly, I wouldn’t mind the reduction. I’ve been wondering what’s on the other side. Of course I wouldn’t do anything like end my life for that. The thoughts came across because lately I’ve been terribly depressed/suicidal, but I am getting better now. Still, I wouldn’t mind a reduction. Dealing with schizophrenia is hard.

I want to live forever.
If thoughts arrive that I don’t want to live these are intrusive thoughts.
I am not here to have fun , I am here to live as long as possible and hope and try to be healthy.

With the ever nearing anti age drugs that rejuvenate and keep you young, I imagine living for several hundred years in which time they would have perfected medicine and schizophrenia will be a temporary drug for junkies looking for a new high… :wink: