Why has it taken so long to finally be getting answers?

I had my first psychosis in 2010, and was seeing consultants and professionals on and off since around 2004 when I was having CBT with a trainee therapist for social phobia. How come it took this long and a qualified psychologist and psychiatrist to tell me I needed an assessment for autism. I never usually see the same consultant more than once but I saw my last one two times. He was the one who suggested it. Have I been masking well, or is it because it just wasn’t diagnosed back then.?

I still don’t have full answers … he said he’d review my sz diagnosis after getting confirmation of my autism diagnosis.

1 Like
1 Like

There is Asperger’s syndrome too. I fit the into the symptom list for that. I read 1 in 10 is on the spectrum to some degree. Not sure if that’s true :person_shrugging:

1 Like

If I understand well, autism exists since early childhood, it does not develop later in life. However, there are many degrees on the autism spectrum. Some people learn coping mechanisms. They don’t know they are autistic, they just want to be more like others around them.

1 Like

Ive said this before but diagnosis is just to get you meds for psychiatrists.

The rest of it is you figuring out what behavioral strategies to use to help you improve your life functioning. A therapist could help with that too.

My pdoc is awesome cuz she focuses on life functioning opposed to my diagnosis.