Why are people afraid of squizophrenics?

It’s partly because of the old days before medication when people were living lifetimes of being symptomatic, stacked up year after year - locked away in dingy asylums, with various inhumane treatments and solutions.

unfortunately some people take advantage of mentally ill. few years ago I saw to guys convinced a mental ill woman to give her golden neckless and she gave it to them. some people think if the person have mental illness that means he/she doesn’t know what’s going on, and when they take advantage they know that mental ill person can’t do anything because no body will believe him/her… and in some way its true. if a mental ill person during his psychosis goes to cops and says this two guys took my belongings and the two guys deny taking it, most likely the cop will think he/she is lost in its mind.

3 Likes

Because everyone thinks we are going to kill them. I really don’t think television shows and movies help because they are going for shock value and even worse, humor. But i also think there is a level of fearing the unknown. I’ll admit to thinking that way before but i try to take it with a grain of salt because they are ignorant. I do try to find the humor in is sometimes and have even found myself laughing at the idiots who have no clue what they are talking about.

1 Like

People are afraid because of the tragic stories that appear in the media as well as the overly negative stereotypes of what ‘psychotic’ is. We all all heard of the ‘psychotic’ girlfriend ( im a male im sure theres the girl commentary on blokes ) or the psychotic killer.

Why not try to leave your dx behind and just dont tell people about it. Focus on the positives.

The reality is that people generally do deplorably violent things because either out of their social setting , bruatalised by gangs , drugs , poverty , religious dogma , neglect and abuse , poor education , etc or because they are mentally not well. I think in the future there will be effective treatment for the latter ie treatment that is safe , curative and with little side effects.

1 Like

I feel like movies, shows and ect make people with schizophrenia seem more insane and dangerous than they really are and because of this people don’t understand and aren’t even wanting to try because there scared.I feel like i have it and it’s been happening for years now and i can’t control myself because i always talk to people but there not there but it seems like they are and other symptoms happen too.It took me three years to tell my mom because i felt that if i told her it would be real and that she would judge me and be scared of me but the thing is that i feel normal and like any ordinary person and if someone didn’t know they wouldn’t think anything about it.My mom thinks that it could just be overly daydreaming but i know the difference between day dreaming and hallucinations and that’s just what i feel but i really hope it’s true because i want to be normal but apart of me knows it’s not and that i need to get help before it get’s worse.What should i do?If you where me would you just think it’s daydreaming and just try to get over it or would you go to a doctor?

That fear and stigma includes bipolars too I have found. And when they discover you have both sz and bipolar, they want absolutely nothing to do with you. That’s why I keep my diagnosis of sza top secret classification.

:zombie: