Who is on latuda?

Im thinking about trying latuda today. Not sure if medicaid will pay for it. Who has tried latuda?

I have. I think Medicaid does cover it now. Maybe it depends on your state but I think you have a shot.

Side effects are much much tamer than most things. The sedation is minimal and weight gain is not significant or at all. You need to eat with it for absorption. At least 350 calories or you only get about 40% absorption and then it’s rough on your stomach.

I’m on Medicaid in Indiana and my latuda is covered. It’s true though you have to eat 350 calories before taking or it may cause you to vomit.

2 Likes

Even getting the calories it can take some time for your stomach to get used to it. Plus you titrate FAST.

that is also true, but i wait 30 minutes after eating before i take it.

Yep. Trial and error like they all are. I used to take it right after I finished because I was so worried about it getting messed up. I’m not the best judge of stomach things though. I found out about a year and a half later that I had celiac disease so I think a good bit of the stomach discomfort was from that.

It’s good for me. Ya if I don’t eat before taking I’ll get sick as a dog and puke it up, worse taste ever. I have problems with akathesia on it when I don’t take my Propranolol. I like it alot compaired to the other meds I’v been on.

I’m suppose to take it at night before bedtime but instead i take it after dinner, It’s just easier to take it after dinner then it is to eat again later before bed.

What have you been on thus far? (Gives me a sense of how Latuda will probably be different.)

Risperdal, zyprexa, depakote. Currently on risperdal but have a prescription for latuda that im going to get filled monday. Medicaid does pay for it

When I was on Latuda it seemed like I was angry all the time, so I switched back to Geodon and Seroquel. The anger might have been the result of withdrawal from my previous med’s though. I’m doing okay on my present med’s, so I plan to stay on those.

Latuda will pretty likely be a lot less “crushing” or “compressing” than Risperdal, though not much different in those respects Zyprexa. Were you dx’d for bipolar or for sz or another form of psychosis? (Asking because of the Depakote, which is a mood leveler, however nasty it may be for one’s stomach.) I’m a bit intrigued to see one going from Depakote to Latuda, as Latuda has a bit of a low-grade rep for inducing irritability and even mild impulsivity in some pts.

Diagnosed with schizophrenia . Im a little worried about the irritability in the meds now that two people have said it causes that

I’d make sure to get a follow-up visit with the prescriber no more than a month after starting on the lurasidone and then observe carefully to see if you’re getting more anxious, restless, irritable, discontent, driven, compulsive, agitated, etc. The prescriber may add a second med, or may just replace the Latuda altogether.

Even though you’ve been on Risperdal risperidone and Zyprexa planzepine without success, there are still a lot of other viable options.