Who growed up poor?

I’m just asking real questions here, I growed up surviving off social security checks from my mother who was left widow after my father died.

2 Likes

I was raised by a handicapped single mom on assistance and she had substance abuse issues. My childhood sucked.

4 Likes

I never really grew up “poor”. My father was the only one that worked though.

Lower middle class is a better term for it.

4 Likes

I was poor. My grandparents were average and they helped but had a single parent family and we were poor

4 Likes

I’d say same for myself.

4 Likes

My mother wasn’t perfect but compared to other people who had physical abuse mothers I think got the better end of the stick though she did beat me up for asking help on a homework assignment when I was 10 but she never did something like that again.

I didn’t, but felt poor or average. I mean we had stuff, but my dad never bought me clothes and when I was a younger kid, we went to payless and he wanted to patch my clothes that were torn. I think we were middle class, but it’s a choice. I wanted more and didn’t get it until later, I guess. I had other family members step in like my mom, step-dad and sister and grandmother and aunt.

My mom never worked until recently. So it was a mixed family or divorced family.

2 Likes

My dad made me make my lunch and we rarely ate out. Stark difference between my half brother and step-father. They had more money than us and my dad tried to have costs split between me and my mom, who didn’t work.

I got made fun of constantly because I had my big lunch-pale at school and made my own lunch. All the ‘cool kids’ ate school lunch or something like pizza and I had my sandwiches lol.

3 Likes

My entire diet consisted of rice and beans. I had to make my own lunch for high school. My mother did make my lunch in middle school and elementary.

3 Likes

Yeah, same here. We never had extra money but we had a reliable car and new clothes at the start of every school year. We ate a lot of cheap hamburger and spaghetti. We never had a color TV until I was in 11th grade.

4 Likes

My family was not poor but I went to public school and there were a lot of poor kids in my class. They couldn’t even bathe and I remember sitting behind a girl who stank so badly I didn’t want to breathe.

3 Likes

I probably would have went to a public school but I had learning disability and federal government give a lot of grants to people like that so that money’s cover a private school for me.

1 Like

When my parents and I immigrated here to the States we were poor but with a lot of hard work and luck my father quickly climbed to the top of the business ladder.
We later moved to an affluent middle class town and I was raised middle class.

We never lacked anything

Only in America

6 Likes

While my mom always provided my brother and I a roof over our heads and food in our stomachs, we didn’t have much money to spend on other things. She was a single mom for almost all of my pre-adult years. While she always had a job, it was never a good job but that doesn’t change what I think about her. I love my mom! She’s always been there for me, even when I was a bad teenager (did hard street drugs)

Don’t love my dad and I don’t want anything to do with him. I cut off all ties with him.

8 Likes

Pretty poor yeah, didn’t have enough for a bus to school most of the time - so that kinda says a lot about how poor

4 Likes

Hey yeah lower middle class as mentioned before. We had food/shelter/relationships looking back my parents did the most for me they stuck with me through sz/weed/ecstasy days. And my highs mainly in sports!

2 Likes

I was spoiled and my father new how to live according to his income. I had the best bicycle and dirt bikes. I was a paper boy delivering news papers when I was 13 years old. I then dropped out of high school at age 16 and washed dishes and minimum wage jobs until I ended up in the hospital with SZ at age 20. I am poor now and my disability checks come in my dads name for me. If the government didn’t send money for me I would have nothing.

3 Likes

Yes, I grew up very poor with 2 sisters at the time and a single mother. Well she was single after she left my abusive stepdad.

We lived in a well known Mexican-American ghetto in a city in Southern California.

Sometimes we struggled to get food and in a lot of our apartments and houses we had these goddamn cockroaches that were so big they could probably beat up a cat. I’ll never forget those sons of ■■■■■■■. :laughing:

Also another funny thing, when I was kid I always told my Mamacita that if ever got any money I was going to buy 100 black tee shirts. Haha! To this day I own a lot of plain black tees.

7 Likes

Yeah, I got the full meal deal. Lucky me.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

(HUGS)

Trigger warning: Domestic Violence

I had a stepfather who hated me because he adopted me from my real father and as a boy I resembled my real dad a lot. I remember one time he was ragingly kicking the ■■■■ out of me. He punched me in the head, stomach, and then he was kicking me while I was laying on the ground.

4 Likes