What is the fiuture of schizophrenia care? (UK)

Schizophrenia is a disorder shrouded in myth and misperception, which affects about 1 in every 100 people during their lifetime. Three years ago a damning report by the Schizophrenia Commission described the system of treatment in this country as being “broken and demoralised.” Since then little has been done to address the root causes of the failings in the standards of care, despite the welcome focus on early access to services. The question of what can be done to better the outcome for those affected by schizophrenia or psychosis formed the basis of a roundtable hosted by Prospect less than 50 days before the General Election.

The discussion, supported by Otsuka and Lundbeck, set out to describe the scale of the problem, the proposed solutions, and the appropriate roles to be played by government and the National Health Service. Robin Murray, Professor of Psychiatric Research at King’s College, who presided over the Schizophrenia Commission, began by emphasising the redefinition of schizophrenia as a syndrome rather than a disease. “It’s another way of thinking about people who have hallucinations, delusions, and other psychotic symptoms…There is very little evidence that it hangs together as a distinct condition,” he said.

5 Likes

“It is middle class people who argue for funds to ensure they have the best possible retirement. That is why [traditionally] the funding goes to the sexier areas and not to mental health.”

@firemonkey

Just show a little more leg on your next visit. :wink:

But, the responsibility does not lie solely with the NHS. People with a severe mental illness face an unemployment rate four times the overall rate, with those diagnosed as suffering from a moderate mental illness facing an unemployment rate double the overall rate. “This has sometimes led clinicians to advise people to conceal their diagnosis,” said Professor Murray. “I look after a consultant physician in a teaching hospital who I have been treating for 20 years. He is an excellent doctor and nobody knows he has schizophrenia.”

Despite the difficulties inherent in devising how to translate the rhetoric into the reality of improved care, the mood of those around the table was largely optimistic. “The Liberal Democrats, and especially Norman Lamb [Minister of State for Care and Support], have put mental health on the front pages. We now have more opportunities to go out and speak about the future of mental health care,” said Murray.

This turned out to be a more serious article than I originally expected. Sorry if my original comment was in poor taste.

None of us are immune to a touch of poor taste at times . Government health warnings would be required to see too much of my ugly legs :wink:

1 Like