What is 'JIHAD'

these people are really scaring me :frowning:

its supposed to be when Muslims fight against people that are oppressing them and their freedom of religion, and it has specific rules and code of conduct.
BUT
Some people claim to be ‘Muslims’ and bomb innocent people and break their own laws they claim to follow and give a bad name to Islam.
Islam does NOT condone terrorism.

2 Likes

It means “struggle” basically.
It can mean both the personal inner spiritual struggle, and also struggle against non-Islamic people, systems or politics.

It is interpreted by some to engage in violent acts, such as these verses from the Quaran explain

“And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing…
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)”

“Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority”.

“Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.”

1 Like

that sounds a lot worse than anything i have ever read in the bible tbh,

thou shalt not kill is one of the 10 commandments in the bible and this quran is basically saying to kill evryone who does not believe and that they will be rewarded,

no wonder i am scared :frowning:

1 Like

although what you wrote is true but basically Muslims are not so and this is about non-believers who fought messenger Muhammad a lot but unfortunately some mentally ill people take it and name it jihad and kill innocent people, if Muslims are 1,500,000,000 they are not even 50,000 people who believe so and people who act on this belief are even less, maybe 20,000 people all over the world but some political streams support them and give them money and guns and make them powerful to reach their goals but there is always this danger about this verse to be misinterpreted and it’s always a danger to non-Muslims.

1 Like

True…and like Aliali says not everyone believes or behaves that way. I’ve talked to a couple American Muslims before and found differing interpretations even among them…a couple admitted to me their book did in fact teach killing unbelievers, and one guy even admitted if it were to come to war he would have to fight on Allahs side. scary when you think about it.
but I have also met some totally peaceful Muslims too - at least that’s how they seemed on the surface.

Look up Sharia law, and you will find out many Muslims want to impose that on the U.S., Britain. and other nations In fact it’s trying to creep in.
I remember this 2 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com/penn-judge-muslims-allowed-attack-people-insulting-mohammad-210000330.html

But Islam also teaches in the Qur’an that there is no compulsion in religion, so its not like we want to go kill all unbelievers. Those verses quoted above are very easily misunderstood. Islam is NOT a violent religion. The Christians can be violent also - just look at the Crusades and Inquisition. You can’t judge a religion to be violent just because of a few misinterpreted verses and terrorist groups claiming to adhere to it.

1 Like

i dont like islam, i was also hearing the words ‘infidel’ repeated,

idk what it means but it doesnt sound nice

It’s someone who doesn’t believe in the God or religion you believe in. It’s mentioned in the Christian Bible twice also. But I don’t think too many Christians use the term.

Saadiqah, you are right: the Crusades & Inquisition killed many “in the name of God and religion.”

1 Like

just being curious here but if say an ‘objective observer’ had to pick a proper religion who do you think they would pick?

i know that everybody is different tho but what about someone that just weighed up all the facts and made a judgement based on that? think of it like a kind of experiment with good and bad on each scale, what would come out on top?

i wonder if anyone has actually done such a thing

I believe in Jesus, the Bible. I do not attend church and often disagree with what many churches teach. I can’t say i did it deliberately but during my life I have looked into and/or practiced just about everything, including things like Satanism, Voodoo, Witchcraft when i was younger.
I’ve looked into a lot of the New Age and “Alien” spiritual beliefs, as well as Elves, faeries, and vampirism.
I sometimes read the ancient Indian scriptures, which Hinduism is based on…mainly to find parallel accounts of things in the Bible, or having to do with UFOs and nuclear wars in the past.
Practiced Buddhism for awhile and Native Shamanism, which I still believe in a lot of things the Natives teach, which I found harmonizes with what Jesus actually taught.

2 Likes

i am also a Christian but i was wondering if there were any other religions that had the same sort of strength/weight as the others, whats the strengths and weaknesses,

i think the Dalai Lama said that the trouble with Christianity is the people that follow it and i think this is true and the bible actually teaches this as well, we are all sinners and we all need to be set free from sin.

1 Like

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.they are so unlike your Christ” is something Ghandi said…pretty much the same thing…

The difference is the sacrifice/forgiveness, and resurrection of Jesus, which is a whole topic in itself…the fact someone who was sinless had to die, then defeat death so we would be able to have eternal life. No one else in other religions has done such a thing.

in every religion there are bad eggs, muslims are people who have a beautiful religion that has been distorted by a few with loud voices.
take care

1 Like