What age did you develop schizophrenia and why do you think it mainly affects a particular age group

Tell me what you know about atoms, about DNA, about ribosomes, about cell division… the entire body is a machine… machines can break? Yes?

I don’t know how you can expect the machine of the mind to work perfectly if its components can’t function at the cellular level.

Complicated machine=more things that can go wrong

… welcome to Windows 8.1 :smile: Windows 332.3 will be the fully schizophrenic version.

I guess I chose my handle “keepsimple” for a good reason.

Have you ever actually looked at cells from your own body in a microscope?

Schizophrenia is an abstract collective term…hallucinations and delusions are main features but we are mostly concerned with hallucinations and delusions that interfere with functioning in daily life. Again “hallucinations”, “delusions” “daily life” are pretty much abstractions too.

One can argue that cells are merely abstractions too and say that it’s all just a bunch of atoms doing what atoms do!

The full physical process which manifests it may be too complicated for us mere mortals to understand at this time.

1 Like

There are roughly 7*10^027 atoms in the human body. That is, 7 followed by 27 zeros

Imagine a machine with that many interacting parts.

Do you think they are all doing what they are supposed to in the brain all the time? A surgeon can profoundly change your entire entire experience and philosophy of the world just by removing different parts of your brain.

Perhaps you are more enlightened than I am. I doubt it. My impression is you know very little actual hard science. That means insufficient objective knowledge in my book. I don’t really believe in Cartesian duality. I think the mind is an emergent thing like a mosaic. Perhaps you can convince me otherwise? I think things pretty much work their way from the bottom (atoms) and influence their way to the top (thoughts). Moving atoms create thoughts but thoughts don’t create moving atoms.

I thought this forum was for people who have a sz diagnosis. Do you have a diagnosis? If you have never had a nervous breakdown you may have insufficient subjective experience to really appreciate sz from the inside. That’s why there is stigma about the illness.

You can read about Paris, you can talk to people who have been to Paris, but you don’t know everything about Paris until you have been there.

I am sorry I have difficulty comprehending everything you say because of our language barrier. I suspect the same words mean something quite different to the each of us.

1 Like

Guys,

I’m closing this thread. It doesn’t seem like either of you are convincing the other. I think the science is pretty clear on the most likely environmental and genetic factors that increase the risk for schizophrenia. Some people like Atabo believe more in a “spiritual” approach to the illness - but that is a small minority.

Lets agree to disagree.

1 Like