Trying to learn Russian

the difference is that in the first sentence it is female. the second sentence is male. In Russia, I often heard “кошка” although it was “кот”
it’s hard to understand. people will understand what you are saying and the meaning

1 Like

you can determine the gender by the end of the verb. Прыгнула female , прыгнул male.

1 Like

These two sentences are in the past tense. present “я покупаю кошку” Кот прыгает.future tense Я буду покупать кошку. Кот будет прыгать.
These two sentences are in the past tense. present Я покупаю кошку. Кот прыгает. future tense Я буду покупать кошку. Кот будет прыгать

1 Like

I would like to learn Russian, however the medications I take affect my memory and I am afraid that I cannot remember the words and grammars.

1 Like

Cool! Im learning French on Duolingo. Im pretty good with the basics so need to start working on some harder stuff. Bonne chance with your Russian.

1 Like

I studied Russian in the university in the 1980s and then I was in Leningrad for three weeks to learn Russia. This was in March 1989. Russian is not too difficult but I have forgotten many words because I stayed so long in America. 20 years ago after returning from America I planned to refresh my Russian but I never did. Many Russians speak English and when I was in Leningrad we spoke often English. I have decided not to study Russian any longer because I have no use for it. Privet tovaritz, in Finnish ‘terve toverit’. If you think Russian is difficult you could try Finnish. Just little over 5.3 million people speak Finnish and we have people with Finnish origins in Russia, ‘Inkerin maa’. Personally I try to use my English as much as possible although I do not need English in my daily life. We have also dialects in Finnish which makes it more difficult for non-Finnish speakers.

3 Likes

Beside English, I speak Russian and Polish. Also studied Sanskrit, Hindi and Japanese.

Regarding example with the “cat” word. Russian language is full with inflections. Depending on the exact usage of the word it will be spelled and spoken differently.

Russian is indeed a difficult language. It is probably the responsibility of the teacher or the training course, but I am positive that Russian grammar must be initially learned in a simplified form.

For example, I remember a guy freaking out about how Russians tend to form their sentences. “Glasses own find can’t” (“Очки свои найти не могу”) instead of “Can’t find my glasses”. The former example is indeed how most people speak in everyday life. You won’t be able to grasp or mimick this behavior.

Instead, learn the most formal and grammatically correct way of expression. That’s not how Russians actually talk, but that will be more manageable to learn. If you actually put effort, you will be able to read well structured text and be understood in conversation.

+++ Also, that’s not specifically related to any language, but without actual usage for the language, you won’t be able to remember it. Find an objective that your study must accomplish. For example, to read a specific book that you are interested in genuinely, regardless of the language that it is written in. Alternatively, if you live in Russia and need to understand how much money a cashier asks of you, learn how to count first. Anyway, consider the actual practical usage for the language that you will have an study to accomplish that exact goal.

3 Likes

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks :pray:

2 Likes

I did Russian as a secondary subject in the lower and upper 6th of the private school I went to. I was becoming ill at the time, and did badly at it.

3 Likes

The grammar is so different than English so it makes it hard.

3 Likes

Carry this on in PM.

1 Like