Tips to lose weight on Olanzapine

I have been on olanzapine for 2 months and gained around 30lbs. I can’t seem to shift it. My doctor recommended Abilify but from what I read it has weight gain issue also.

Anyone have good tips for losing weight AP’s?

I have lost weight or not put any on using Latuda, Haldol, Abilify, Amisulpride etc

You will end up being very fat if you keep on Olanzapine.

I was on 20mg for two years and put on 35 kilos.

My advice would be to switch meds, but that’s your decision as it has it’s risks.

1 Like

Abilify is the least drug to cause weight gain. Olanzapine is the most.

1 Like

I’m eating 1200 calories a day and exercising 5 days a week. I’m also now on Haldol. I gained 90 pounds on Seroquel. I’ve lost 60 so far

3 Likes

I switched from Olanzapine to Abilify, and I lost 50 lbs. Right now my weight is stable, but I need to lose another 50 to 70 lbs.

1 Like

keep a water bottle beside you. it helps me to stay full up.

1 Like

its not possible for me at least. when i was on olanzapine it was torture trying not to eat endlessly

1 Like

Surgicallly remove a limb or two

1 Like

Olanzapine makes everyone fat. I was skinny on ability. On haldol now 20 pounds overweight from drinking beer everyday but haldol is weight neutral too

1 Like

Antipsychotics make you hungry but olanzapine is like non stop

1 Like

I also gained 30lbs from Olanzapine. It was the first time I was put on medication and didn’t know that all these medications have side effects. I thought I was just getting old. I started going to the gym, doing sprints, and watching my diet by the end of the month I was still the same weight. Eventually when I quit taking Olanzapine is when I returned back to my normal weight.

1 Like

I gained 60 lbs in 120 days when I was on Olanzapine. When I was on Aripiprazol I didn’t gain weight, and I actually got an increase in physical strength.