These 8 Free Apps Will Help You Manage Your Mental Health

We’ve heard it over and over again — social media and technology in general are making us anxious, depressed, and ruining our self-esteem. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. But what if there were ways to use our liking and texting skills to make us feel better about ourselves? Or to make us feel like we have everything under control?

That’s where the good news comes in: There are a ton of apps out there that can help you do everything from de-escalate a panic attack to remember to take your meds.

These aren’t alternatives to therapy and they won’t cure you of anything. But they will make the day-to-day struggles of living with a mental illness or just run-of-the-mill stress a little bit easier. With these in your pocket, you’ll have new options for handling those moments when you’re not feeling great. And when you do feel better, you’ll be able to see it right in front of you. Ahead, we’ve collected a few of our (free) favorites.

4 Likes

Another good one is SAM. It stands for Stress Anxiety Management. It’s helped a lot with my anxiety. I wish there was an app for psychosis. :sunny:

3 Likes

I picked out the 3rd game, Flowy, that’s to help manage stress by controlling and slowing your breathing. It looks like it will also be useful in learning to deal with SOB, shortness of breath, from COPD.

I tried it a couple of times today and it seems promising to give me a means of getting out of episodes of shallow rapid breathing.

Thanks, @Minnii

1 Like

I haven’t done much work on it lately, but I use my own app sometimes when I have a frustrating experience:

Sorry it only works on Android, but I would love it if someone could port it to iOS.

2 Likes

This is another one I did this week… it’s just a simple gratitude log… Needs a lot more work but I think it is helping me put things more in perspective.

1 Like