The Exorcism of Emily Rose...and critical thinking

are u satisfied with the psychosis presented in the movies…
what about the ap called …???
are sz are really insane…??
if one is insane is it justified to term him sz(psychotic…)

what are your views on movies…???

welcome 4 ur views…

I’m afraid that some of the dumber members of society equate a sz with a person like the zodiac killer in the movie “Dirty Harry”. It’s unfortunate, but that’s what people pay money to see at the movies. I heard somewhere that in reality a person is more likely to be struck by lightening than harmed by a sz. We can try to educate the public, but some stigmas die hard.

1 Like

Well in this movie it’s more presented as a demonic possession. The phase where it is considered a mental illness is set up to “show” people that meds are futile against evil. They follow her perspective and show all the creepy stuff but make it seem real. Not a bad movie, but they should drop the based on true events part.

1 Like

There has been a lot of criticism on ‘a beautiful mind’ and of course, it is overly sentimental and yes, it portrays the hallucinations visually rather than auditory, but still I think it is okay. My first and only time crying since my first episode was actually when watching this movie. At the moment he realizes it. The hollywood touch got to me :slight_smile:

That being said there is a movie that captures a specific element of the psychotic world much more accurately to me. Even though it is not explicitly about psychosis - it might as well be about dreams, that is open to interpretation. The movie is ‘Inland Empire’ by David Lynch and it is one of my favorites of all time. It is a psychological horror movie, extremely dissociative and there’s hardly a clear plot to be identified. Yet what makes it so good in my view, is the mood that is established in this film. A mood that you do not only see on the screen, but transfers to you as well. You will feel what is displayed rather than merely seeing it.

To be sure, it is not sure whether the protagonist or any character in the film is psychotic - there are no explicit signs of it in terms of hallucinations or clear delusions. But the film captures the mysterious mood that I recognize from my psychoses. This mood in which the world presents you with clues, although you are not sure what these clues mean or where they will lead you to - but they mean something - so much is clear. Just thinking about it makes me want to watch it again, note that it is not quite a happy movie and it can be very confusing.

1 Like

for common people wasn’t the movies successful in creating contradiction between sz and insanity and so called demonic possession…

Yeah exactly, they made the point that the possession was real. At least in the fictional universe. Doesn’t do much to help stigma in the culture. A lot of people believe the devil is real, which leaves them more inclined to believe that mental health issues are all tied into the same evil force.

Now I do think that my voices are evil, but its not the supernatural kind. I got in to some psychotic state with a great deal of complexity regarding how I viewed myself and others. These voices started speaking for the “others” in my mind. The same fearful view of what I thought the others might think is the same disposition and place that my voices speak from.

its kindda justice done.
the final verdict is movie does justice with sz or psychosis …

She said die hard!

Get her bruce!

1 Like

Alot of my “symptoms” can be seen in different movies.

Greys, ufos, satyrs, levitations, nde’s, shadow people, seeing the future, voices that know things i guess, a ghost whatever that is, alot of things.

You remember that stupid dream ■■■■ from “the craft”, that happens to sometimes, it sucks. And then there was that black witch at the bar making me visually hallucinate, also seen in the craft, totally happens sometimes.

Im going to die aren’t i.

What are you calling me “she” for?! I’m a male!

1 Like

Oops.

My mistake.

1 Like

We all are. Most of us aren’t in a rush.

Pixel.

1 Like

Your stuck with us pal. Atleast for another 60 long years . No dieing for you sir :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only movie that I feel portrayed psychosis accurately was ‘Love & Mercy’. It just came out last month. It’s a biographical film about the lead singer of the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson. What I also liked about it is that it didn’t focus on his mental illness, but about his onset, and his recovery in his 30’s. There’s only about four scenes where you experience first hand his symptoms, and they last no more than 45 seconds, but they were shockingly accurate. It showed both sides of his illness (later diagnosed schizoaffective), the positive and negative portions and how it effected his life. It was really an amazing film with a happy ending. Check it out, especially if you love The Beach Boys.

1 Like

If some of the people here made a movie about psychosis I think it would be very boring… I think what you people want is to portray it from the perspective of a third party instead of the person experiencing it first hand.

That is all I am allowed to say on this thread, or else my post gets erased, making this thread even more boring. That is my point in regards to your movie idea and censoring the most fundamental part of the equation, which is the first hand experience and not just an on looker’s perspective.

I wish I could broadcast what really goes on inside my head to outsiders. I guarantee I’d acquire a cult following and it would be even more surreal than this movie. What is an “accurate portrayal of psychosis” exactly? Come on. A true portrayal could only be done with a computer brain-to-brain interface. The experience is extremely complex and goes beyond just sight and sound!

1 Like