Teenagers who smoke cannabis damage their brains for LIFE and may be more likely to develop schizophrenia

3 Likes

The cannabis and schizophrenia debate. Will we ever know the truth? Some say it causes schizophrenia and some believe it doesn’t. Such a mystery.

Not really a mystery. The science is increasingly coming out against weed, but its proponents don’t want to hear that.

1 Like

Weed triggered sz for me when I was a teenager. I was stupid, didn’t reason that my genetics put me at risk. And here I am.

Well, it comes from the right wing propaganda paper that perpetuates an anti-cannabis agenda, probably to protect big pharma and alcohol groups from ever decriminalising it, so I take it with a pinch of salt…

Yes marijuana can be classified as a psychoactive drug, and is most likely unhealthy.

I guess health is a choice, and it’s good to have more knowledge of the effects of these things.
I think this article may be more in the theory side of science still.
This article can also be about the cost of smoking.
Here is a article about studies found about brain damage caused by cigarettes, something that can be considered relevant to schizophrenics as well because of the greater margin of people who smoke with this illness.

It kills a area of the brain associated with language, memory, and perception.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20150213/smoking-linked-to-damage-in-the-brain-researchers-find

2 Likes

I must quit smoking cigarettes, planning to quit beginning of may. I have only smoked pot a handful of times since high school

Quitting smoking is easy, I quit 1,000 times.

On a real note I have to as well,
I’ve smoked for 6 years, and to not acknowledge my organs dieing and damaged, is a very sad thing. My lungs, heart, etc, I can’t imagine the real effect to my brain. They say it’s harder than getting off heroin to kick this addiction.

I smoked a lot of weed as a teenager and then later in my 20s after I was diagnosed. I find it amplifies the delusions I have as well as the voices. I loved smoking it but I quit 3 years ago and am planning on not using it again just to keep the delusions at bay. However, if I happen to get a better paying job I am planning on using CBD for anxiety and to see if it actually has any anti-psychotic properties.

The researchers for this study are from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. It has nothing to do with right wing propaganda.

1 Like

It’s a giant leap from doing a study on mice and then applying the theory to teenagers. That is the bias and propaganda. It goes onto say previous research shows with no sources that it causes brain damage. It is written in such a way to relate one bit of research with another with no actual link, Propaganda from a terrible biased paper.

"The study, published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology, exposed young mice to the active ingredient in marijuana for 20 days.

It found that their brain activity was impaired, with the damage continuing into adulthood.
The past 20 years has seen major controversy about the long-term effects of marijuana, with experts divided over its long-term effects on teenagers."

Linked in the next paragraph to this.

“Previous research has shown that children who started using marijuana before the age of 16 are at greater risk of permanent brain damage, and have a significantly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders.”

It has everything to do with right wing propaganda.

It uses a strawman argument to validate it’s biased opinion. Clever, but you can see how it charges the reader to believe its point of view,

Why arent there more ppl with schizophrenia?

1 Like

The rise is cannabis usage and even potency doesn’t correlate with the number of szs which has remained the same in line with population. Fact…

@labratmat I also dislike conservatives.

1 Like

I don’t think kids should smoke anything vape cigs or weed… does it cause sz I doubt it… I had sz before I even knew what weed was… does it make me worse? sure it does… you know what messes me up worse…not sleeping enough for about 3 days… i know we all want a boogie man to point the finger at and say ya bastards…but there are way too many people that smoke smoked and will smoke that haven’t nor will ever develop anything close to sz for me to believe thc is the actual reason behind and not just a trigger for those of us who already have the curse…

3 Likes