Stigma of schizophrenia

**Use the media to educate the public on what mental illness really is. Advocate for more funds so that anyone with a thought disorder can get better help and care.

4 Likes

Thank You for the video. Public awareness is important and #5 is not an easy one because it is hard to discuss mental illness. I donā€™t like labels either, and think that is huge in society. I think we have a tendency to conform and create clicks, group like ourselves, this could be a problem. Sz is no an easy illness to make it acceptable I would think. Iā€™m really striving awareness of mental illness, removing the stigma by getting mental illness accepted then taking SZ, and slowly getting it read through pamphlets, booklets, possibly more in the educational sectors, such universities and colleges. I have sz and its difficult for to not stigmatized my own illness, I think about, is this some curse, witchcraft, or sorcery going on even when I know science.
We are taught to think this way, we have unlearn this type of thinking

1 Like

People, even the people I know treat me almost like they always haveā€¦ They are less interested in what I have to say these days though it seems. Maybe that just comes with age.

Some people think that youā€™re always hearing voices and that you talk to them. I have been an insider, and on the outside looking in. The problem with stigma is that it makes it cool to be ignorant about Sz and other mental illnesses. It is something that people donā€™t want to touch.

My little sister made the remark to my brother of, ā€œnow it seems like Iā€™m hearing voices.ā€ I told my parents and they just said, ā€œitā€™s not directed at you. Itā€™s our culture,ā€ which is obviously not an excuse. By both turns it hurt meā€¦ a dagger going in and twisting, but I live with it. I guess it is partially my fault that I havenā€™t educated them about Sz. This self directed blame is part of the epidemic (but itā€™s not a disease those who participate in it are at fault) of stigma itself. It warps the mind of those who have Sz into blaming themselves for it.

The only chance you have within the current situation is to lie. Lie to your bosses, your friends, your neighbors. Hold them all in the dark, because you know that you are the only one who has gone under and to overcome you must first go under. (that last bit is an idea from Nietzsche)

You can directly quote me if you need to.

3 Likes

Not telling someone straight away helps. It helps to bring down misconceptions about us

1 Like

Great video presentation.

1 Like

There is stigma because skizos often are fat, substance abusers or zombie like. Nobody wants to be like that so they keep a distance.Lets hope things change drastically, Im almost anti psychiatry like Thomas Szas

Some of the churches here are hitting this hard. I get a lot of nasty comments and stalking from the people in the churches who are part-time crazy and preach-stalk peopleā€¦Is so much better if these people never meet you. If the nutty church people know you, they stalk you worse and will not even hesitate to bother you at work. NASTY NASTY NASTY!

I never discuss this diagnosis and still get crazy comments from strangers. Started to have crazies swarming my jobs here in life/death situations & I drew the line & quitā€¦THATā€™S IT!!!

I thought it was a hidden camera and thatā€™s why people made fun of me but people find any thing unusual funny hilarity ensues and the bitchy comments well theyā€™re just annoyed themselves. Maybe it has nothing to do with the schizophrenic in the room.