Some of the people who claim they are mental health advocates are a joke

I’m tired of reaching out to people who claim their job is to help the mentally ill, but when comes time to actually help you, they either ignore you or tell you generic ass advice that they tell regular neural typicals.

1 Like

This is generally true. Best to be your own advocate.

6 Likes

I find the allies and first aiders with certificates do not know anything about psychosis from what I have seen

Think they are just there to signpost and hit the alarm if needed

2 Likes

“Best to be your own advocate.”

1 Like

Peer support worker here in the UK.

They give this position anybody who is in recovery but aren’t acutally in recovery.

1 Like

They just throw money at the issue and the CEOs or upper management make the money. It’s like Good Will CEO or foundations and non profits. It never solves the issue.

They make homelessness worse and they want to tax people more. It’s about control. There will always be a level of homelessness in the world that won’t go away ever.

Things will never change.

There is a shortage or no housing for men my age. Homeless shelters where I live are for kids or women only. Men get screwed and the 1 homeless shelter they have (I heard about) is gross and infested with cockroaches and rats.

1 Like

I know of someone who was a member of friends (anti bullying group) and he said the boss girl was the biggest bully ever but that she did “intellectual bullying “ and then hid behind the organisation pretending not to be a bully and to be against bullying.
She just wanted power or what she thinks power is.

Lots of people green wash and mental health wash and charity wash to look good when in reality they are horrible behaved people.

5 Likes

I have a feeling that jobs in mental health attract people who just want a paycheck without working. I’ve run into 2 or 3 people in this field in my lifetime that just do not seem to want to do anything related to their job.

Never run into this with physical doctors or dentists even.

1 Like

Really you run into a wide range of doctors in every medical field. Comes with the territory. I got a doctor fired for giving me a medication directly listed on my allergy list. He thought I was being dramatic about being allergic and was a real jerk about it. I went into anaphylactic shock and they had to resuscitate me. Spent time in ICU. The hospital director talked to me a week later. There was an investigation and they fired him. So yeah, you can’t trust all doctors.

1 Like

I’m not condoning bad practice, but the mh field will always be subpar. We are not a priority, not because we’re not deserving, but because policy surrounding mh is so diluted and mismanaged. That doesn’t mean you can’t find an excellent case worker or advocate. keep your expectations low and show gratitude regardless of how you are treated- you never know who’s listening or waiting in the wings to advocate for you.